There’s great news for all fans of 2000AD creator Pat Mills and historians of British comics this week. His memoir of the origins of the Galaxy’s Greatest Comic – Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave! – currently available digitally, is to get a print edition.
The “real world” édition not only has a smashing new, Roy Lichtenstein-inspired cover by top comics artist Alex Ronald (2000AD, Lost Fleet and many more) but the book will go on sale soon, Pat’s announced.
“This will just take another week or two for it to become available,” the busy author says. “I’m working on the rest of the cover design right now (spine, back cover), and our formatter is working on the book interior. Once complete it gets uploaded to CreateSpace; they send us a proof copy, we okay it; and then it goes on sale.”And a few more bits of Pat-based news:
- Pat gave a talk at the Marxism Festival in London last Saturday: The Politics of 2000AD, which went down a storm. The talk was recorded and it should be available for replay soon.
- He has just completed three days in at Spokenworld, narrating Be Pure! for audiobook. According to producer Neil Gardner, Pat is a natural! The audiobook version of Be Pure! will be on sale direct from Spokenworld Audio from the second week of August, followed by Amazon a month or two later.
- In addition to the Marxism Festival and audiobook narration, Pat managed to squeeze in an interview with Afshin Rattansi, the host of Russia Today’s Going Underground show. Talking 2000AD and Be Pure!, the show will be broadcast on Saturday 22nd July
For those coming in late, Pat Mills is the creator of 2000AD, Action, and co-creator of Battle, the girls supernatural comic Misty, Marshal Law, Requiem Vampire Knight, the anti-war saga “Charley’s War”, and the black comedy text novel Serial Killer, published earlier this year.
For 2000AD, he developed Judge Dredd, and, with the artists, created Mach One, Savage, Slaine, Harlem Heroes, Flesh, Nemesis, Greysuit, Defoe, ABC Warriors and Ro-Busters, as well as “Third World War” for 2000AD’s sister title Crisis, which led to the 2000AD series “Finn”. His “Accident Man”, co-created with Tony Skinner, is now a film starring Scott Adkins. (There’s an official Instagram for the film here).
• Buy the digital edition of Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave! from amazon.co.uk here – using this link helps support downthetubes
• Buy books by Pat Mills from amazon.co.uk – using this link helps support downthetubes
This article first appeared on the Boys Adventure Blog and is cross-posted with permission