Escaping War and Waves is a stunning collection of Olivier Kugler‘s compelling series of evocative drawings documenting the experiences of Syrian refugees he met in Iraqi Kurdistan, Greece, France, Germany, Switzerland and England, mostly on assignment for Médecins Sans Frontières.
Based on many interviews, and hundreds of reference photos, Oliver’s beautifully observed drawings of his interviewees bring to life their location – a room, a camp, on the road. His reporting of their stories is peppered with snatches of conversation and images of the objects that have become such a significant part of their lives.
Myriad Editions will publish Escaping War and Waves, and if you’re in any way curious about the plight of refugees in the 21st century, you should buy this book.
Drawings from Escaping Wars and Waves will be exhibited at The Print House Gallery, Hackney during Refugee Week (18th – 24th June 2018), and if you’re in London do try and get to see this.
• Escaping War and Waves will be published on 5th July 2018 by Myriad Editions in partnership with Penn State University Press in North America. Work from the project will be exhibited at The Print House Gallery, 18 Ashwin St, Hackney, London E8 3DL during Refugee Week (18-24 June 2018)
• Read our news story about Myriad Editions Escaping War and Waves
• Olivier Kugler Official Site: olivierkugler.com
• Eye Magazine: Olivier Kugler – Bearing Witness
• We Make It Projects – Escaping War and Waves