18/11/2018 - 19/05/2019 All day
An exhibition of art by Dan Dare creator Frank Hampson at The Atkinson, in Southport, Lancashire – where both the character and Eagle comic were “born” in the 1950s.
The exhibition covers all aspects of Frank Hampson’s career including his early sketches, artwork for Ladybird Books and of course, Dan Dare.
• Frank Hampson – The Man Who Drew Dan Dare Saturday 15th September 2018 – Saturday 16th March 2019 – For more about the exhibition visit The Atkinson web site
• The Atkinson is at Lord Street, Southport PR8 1DB. The Museum and galleries are open Monday – Saturday 10.00am – 4.00pm, Sunday CLOSED | Check all opening times here | Web: www.theatkinson.co.uk | Find The Atkinson on Facebook: TheAtkinson | Follow The Atkinson on Twitter @AtkinsonThe | Watch The Atkinson video channel on Youtube: AtkinsonThe
• Read Dan Whitehead’s 2016 review of the permanent Frank Hampson exhibition at The Atkinson
• There’s more about the original creation of the Dan Dare bust by John Fowler here on DanDare.org and the fiftieth anniversary art here on the official Frank Hampson web site, which also has a feature on the birth of Dan Dare and Eagle here
• The Old Bakehouse in Botanic Road, Churchtown, Southport – the original studio used by Frank Hampson and his team to produce the 1950’s Dan Dare strips – is not open to the public but has been recently restored