The latest edition of Eagle Times, the magazine of the Eagle Society is out now, a bumper issue mark Eagle comic’s seventieth anniversary year, that includes two two full colour prints featuring Dan Dare – with art by Bryan Talbot – and news of a new initiative to create a larger archive of Eagle-related items at Southport’s The Atkinson gallery.
Perhaps my favourite items of the issue are Joe Hoole’s latest and final look at the Eagle Annuals, this time out focusing on the 1980s releases, and a smashing overview of the career of artist Kenneth McDonough, one of Eagle‘s original artists, by Jeremy Briggs. The latter not only covers his work for the comic but takes a look at his terrific box art work for Airfix, too.
One great piece of news in this issue is that Southport’s The Atkinson is now seeking to expand its archive of Eagle and Dan Dare-related items, in response to discussion with members of the Eagle Society, led by longtime exhibition organiser David Britton and Frank Hampson’s son, Peter.
If the idea of supporting such a project appeals, which will enable a regular refresh of the permanent Dan Dare exhibit there, among other thing, and you have “stuff”
which you would like to donate, David suggests contacting Stephen Whittle or
Emma Harrison, Principal Managers, at the Atkinson via the gallery’s web site.
There are so few places where British comics are regularly offered such space, outside of the excellent Cartoon Museum in London and Seven Stories in the North East, so it’s great to hear of the Atkinson’s enthusiasm for this.
Also this issue:
• Dan Dare and the B29: Adrian Perkins notes the similarities between the interior of some of Dan’s ships and the B29 bomber
• The Story of a Train That Went Nowhere: David Britton examines an in depth article prepared for Eagle that was never published
• “The Case of the Unwelcome Guest House” – Part Two of the latest Archie Willoughby adventure by Steve Winders
• Childhood Memories by Kevin O’Donnell
• The White Funnel Fleet: The story of the steamer fleet which operated in the Bristol Channel for eighty years
• The Dan Dare Studios Ideas Book: Featuring the Phant Interceptor Spacecraft
• Charles Chilton and the Indian Wars: Part One of David Britton’s examination of the Riders of the Range adventure “The War With Geronimo”
• Jim Duckett’s own review of Steve Holland’s new book, Rocket – The First Space Age Weekly
• Donovan: David Gould’s account of the career of the popular performer and his visit to Eagle‘s offices
• Membership of THE EAGLE SOCIETY is via Annual Subscription to Eagle Times magazine, which is published four times annually. Please make cheques payable to the ‘Eagle Society’.
The Subscription rate for 2018 is: UK £29 | Overseas £40 (in £s Sterling, please)
Postal applications to: Eagle Society Membership Secretary Bob Corn, Wellcroft Cottage, Wellcroft, Ivinghoe, Buckinghamshire LU7 9EF
If you wish to pay by Paypal (from your Paypal account to the e-mail address given below) we request that you make your payment as a GIFT)