The UK’s Embassy of Japan has launched this year’s manga-writing competition, Manga Jiman 2014, with fantastic prizes up for grabs.
Now in its eighth year, Manga Jiman can be translated as ‘having pride in manga’ and the Embassy of Japan says it is proud to offer this opportunity to UK manga creators.
In an exciting twist to the competition, this year will see the introduction of a separate category for those aged between 11 and 13 to create yonkoma manga (a story told in four comic strip panels on one page).
“This will be a great chance for young manga creators to hone their skills,” said a spokesperson.
For anyone aged 14 or over, the Embassy will continue their search for the best story told across six to eight pages, with superb prizes up for grabs.
Entrants for both sections of the competition are asked to create a story referring to this year’s theme 一期一会 (ichi-go ichi-e) which can be translated as a ‘once-in-a-lifetime meeting’ or ‘a chance encounter’.
The winning entries from both sections of the competition will also be displayed in a special Manga Jiman Exhibition at the Embassy of Japan.
If you wish to enter, please read the full rules and then carefully fill out and submit the official application form along with your entry by post or in person to Manga Jiman 2014 Competition, JICC, Embassy of Japan, 101-104 Piccadilly, London W1J 7JT.
For the Manga Jiman competition the Embassy is looking for a story created on six to eight A4-sized pages and drawn so that it reads from left to right.
- 1st Prize: Two (2) return air tickets to Japan, courtesy of All Nippon Airways*
- 2nd Prize: A fabulous laptop computer from Toshiba of Europe Ltd.
- 3rd Prize: A superb digital camera from RICOH UK Ltd
Runners-up will receive a selection of manga publications, available in the UK from various UK manga publishers amongst others prizes.
* The winner is responsible for the payment of Air Passenger Duty (U.K. Departure tax) and Passenger Service Charges, the total of which as of 1 July 2014 amounts to approximately GBP 144.00 per ticket based on a flight from London Heathrow to Tokyo Haneda. Please note the amount of Air Passenger Duty and Passenger Service Charge may change depending on airport and the exchange rate.
Entrants must be legal residents of the United Kingdom who are, or will be, over the age of 14 by 1st January 2015.
Please read the Manga Jiman Competition 2014 Rules & Regulations carefully before applying.
For the Yonkoma Manga competition, the Embassy is looking for A story told in four panels on one A4 portrait sized paper. The manga must only contain four panels and must be drawn so that it reads from top to bottom. A template can be found here.
- 1st Prize: A print from the Japanese Gallery.
Runners-up will receive a selection of fantastic manga-related prizes.
Entrants must be legal residents of the United Kingdom who are, or will be, aged 11, 12 or 13 by 1st January 2015. Entrants must be born between 2nd January 2001 and 1st January 2004.
Please read the Yonkoma Manga Competition 2014 Rules & Regulations carefully before applying.
• For both competitions, don’t forget to attach a completed Entry Form along with your photocopied artwork. Entry Forms can be downloaded here
• Entries received after 5.00pm Monday, 3rd November 2014 will not be deemed eligible to be judged in the competition. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries about the competition