ITV Studios Global Entertainment has detailed new developments for its Classic Thunderbirds gifting category as it celebrates the brand’s 50th anniversary ahead of this year’s licensing Spring Fair in Birmingham next week. These include a special range of 50th anniversary products and limited editions based on new artwork, targeting the adult retro and nostalgic market, that will be available at retail outlets across UK and Ireland from this Spring.
As we’ve previously reported DC Thomson has secured the license to publish a magazine based on the new Thunderbirds Are Go show, although a launch date has not been announced, and Egmont UK publish collections of Classic Thunderbirds comics.
• Innovative gift, gadget, toy and lifestyle product designer, manufacturer and distributor Bunkerbound will launch a selection of accessories including alarm clocks, travel gift sets, cufflinks, wallets, gadget cases, baggage and car gift sets. You can view their entire range here
• Danilo, Europe’s leading publisher of officially licensed calendars, diaries, cards and wrap, will showcase a variety of diaries, calendars, greeting and sound cards, gift wrap, boxes and bags for fans
• Demand Media who have been producing and supplying top quality gift products since 2007, will exhibit its new line of wooden and card jigsaw puzzles
• GB Eye, Britain’s leading poster maker, will launch its latest selection of Classic Thunderbirds posters. Check their retail site at www.gbposters.com
• Giftware maker Paladone’s range will feature stationery items, desktop accessories, mugs, dual purpose key rings, magnets, in addition to a ‘build your own’ series of the iconic vehicles including Thunderbird 1 and 2 – and a Genius Glasses repair kit. Their range is available from a variety of stores. Check out the Thunderbirds: Build Your Own Thunderbird 1 kit on amazon.co.uk – the page features links to other kits in the same range
• Plastic Head Distribution are leading UK manufacturers and wholesalers of officially licensed apparel and giftware featuring character brands that include Asterix, The Clangers, Doctor Who, Judge Dredd, Superman and The Walking Dead. They’ll present two new ranges based on Classic Thunderbirds and the Gerry Anderson catalogue that will include items such as t-shirts, hoodies, vests, sweaters, and accessories, including hats, bags, phone cases and home wares.
• Tactic Games will be celebrating the anniversary with a limited edition Classic Thunderbirds Trivia Game boasting 400 question cards with 1,000 questions and answers
Other already announced Classic Thunderbirds merchandise includes gifted and collector’s art prints from Art You Grew Up With, die cast models from Editions Atlas, character face masks from Mask-arade, commemorative coins and medallions from New Zealand Mint (who also produce Doctor Who and Disney coins), collective gift figures and vehicles from Robert Harrop Designs, scripts on wall prints Spineless Publishing, pin badges, key chains and magnets from Tartan Squirrel (see news story), vinyl figures from Titan Publishing, collectable cards from Unstoppable Cards (who also produce Blake’s 7 and Doctor Who cards), phone and tablet covers from Vibe Centre, accessories and a ‘How to Make’ book from WETA (who created the Thunderbirds Are Go effects).
“We have worked closely with our partners to commemorate the incredible 50 year history of this iconic brand through rich new gifting products that will appeal to loyal fans of the brand,” said Trudi Hayward, SVP, head of global merchandising at ITVS GE.
“Consumer demand and feedback that we are receiving for Thunderbirds is overwhelming and with so much more planned for this milestone anniversary, including the launch of the new Thunderbirds Are Go television series this Spring, we are in no doubt that 2015, is in fact, the year of Thunderbirds.”