ITV Studios Global Entertainment has announced it is to expand the licensing programme for its Gerry Anderson portfolio, introducing new merchandise based on almost all his shows such as Captain Scarlet, Stingray, Joe 90 and Space:1999.
The plan is no doubt in response to the success of its Classic Thunderbirds licensed merchandise. The new lines, initially aimed at adult fans and collectors in the UK and Ireland, will span key categories including collectables, figurines, adult apparel and gifting.
• Anderson Entertainment, who have already produced some fantastic Captain Scarlet, Stingray, Thunderbirds and Space:1999 collectables, is set to showcase a quirky range of limited edition gifts including apparel, replica models, badges, limited edition paintings and posters based on both Classic Thunderbirds and Gerry Anderson properties. Separately, the multimedia company is behind the official Gerry Anderson conventions and is busy at work on new Anderson projects such as Firestorm
• Hype Associates, the greetings cards publisher who also have a Classics Thunderbirds range (as well as publishing Beano and Dandy cards) are to produce a range of high end greetings cards, gift wrap and bags
• Robert Harrop , who already have a Classic Thunderbirds figurine range, will launch a range of collectables based on the Gerry Anderson portfolio, offering high quality bronze figurines, character, resin and pewter figures, and vehicles
• Plastichead will launch a collection of adult apparel, accessories, mugs and mug sets
• Internationally, Tree Frog will release a line of collectable cards inspired by Classic Thunderbirds and the Gerry Anderson properties Captain Scarlet, Space: 1999, Supercar, Joe 90, Fireball XL5, UFO, which will be sold not only in the UK but also contrues such a the United States, Australia and New Zealand and Japan
“As we approach the 50th anniversary of Thunderbirds, it’s important for us to explore the entirety of Gerry Anderson’s extraordinary portfolio and celebrate his incredible skill, determination and diversity through a variety of unique product ranges,” commented Trudi Hayward, SVP, head of global merchandising at ITVS GE.
The expansion of the Anderson merchandise range, as Thunderbirds Are Go sets to debut in April, also suggests that if the new reboot is a success, it might not just be Thunderbirds returning to our screens over the next few years…
• Anderson Entertainment has a dedicated online shop for all Gerry Anderson official merchandise produced by all licensees: http://shop.gerryanderson.co.uk