The US Toy Association has unveiled 114 toy and game finalists for the prestigious 2020 Toy of the Year Awards, which include Barbie, Marvel character figures, LEGO‘s Stranger Things sets, Meccano, Pokémon, Power Rangers and more.
Known as the “Oscars” of the toy industry, the TOTY Awards program recognises the top playthings on the market – from STEM/STEAM and innovative toys to dolls, action figures, creative toys, and more. The nominees are likely to drive Christmas toy choices for some.
The program is also a vital fundraiser for The Toy Foundation, which annually delivers toys to millions of children in need.
Finalists were announced yesterday by a group of well-known online influencers who serve as TOTY ambassadors and between now and 5th January 2020 play-lovers of all ages can visit www.ToyAwards.org to vote for their favourite playthings in each of the 16 categories, browse toys, download shopping lists for the holidays, and enter for a chance to win one of 16 toy prize packages.
“From an extraordinary field of nominees carefully reviewed by expert judges, this year’s TOTY finalists truly represent our members’ ability to bring fun, laughter, discovery, and learning to kids across America and around the world,” said Steve Pasierb, president and CEO of The Toy Association.
“We are proud to unveil these playthings in advance of the holiday season and celebrate the toy community’s enduring ability to inspire generations of play. Everyone is encouraged to cast their votes at ToyAwards.org and help decide the winners!”
Winners in each category, as well as the coveted overall Toy of the Year winner and the People’s Choice winner (based solely on consumer votes), will be announced at the TOTY Awards gala on Friday 21st February 2020 at the Ziegfeld Ballroom in New York City. The celebration will kick off Toy Fair New York and include the induction of three trailblazers into the esteemed Toy Industry Hall of Fame.
All embedded links are Affiliate Links to AmazonUK – do note some links are general rather than specific. Do note that some toys may not yet be available in the UK
2020 TOTY FINALISTS
ACTION FIGURE OF THE YEAR
Toys that represent a person or fictional character intended for active, imaginative and narrative-based play
- Bakugan Dragonoid Maximus Transforming Figure by Spin Master
- Disney Pixar Toy Story Basic Figures by Mattel, Inc.
- Heroes of Goo Jit Zu by Moose Toys
- Jurassic World Destroy ‘N Devour Indominus Rex by Mattel, Inc.
- Marvel Legends Series by Hasbro, Inc.
- My Hero Academia Katsuki Bakugo Action Figure by McFarlane Toys
- Power Rangers Beast Morphers Beast-X Ultrazord Figure by Hasbro, Inc.
COLLECTIBLE OF THE YEAR
Toys that compose a set and can be collected in multiples; can include novelty playthings, miniature versions of existing lines, licensed collectibles, etc.
- Blume by Skyrocket Toys
- Hairdorables Dolls Series 3 by Just Play
- L.O.L. Surprise! Winter Disco Series by MGA Entertainment
- Lucky Fortune by WowWee
- My Singing Monsters Collectible Musical Figures by PlayMonster
- Pulp Heroes Snap Bots by Far Out Toys
- Shopkins Real Littles Lil’ Shopper Pack by Moose Toys
Toys that include building as the primary play pattern
- Erector by Meccano, Inventor Set, Intro to Robotics by Spin Master
- Fisher-Price Wonder Makers design system Build Around Town Starter Kit by Mattel, Inc.
- LeapBuilders ABC Smart House by LeapFrog
- LEGO CITY Deep Space Rocket and Launch Control by LEGO Systems, Inc.
- LEGO MARVEL Iron Man Hall of Armour by LEGO Systems, Inc.
- My Robotic Pet – Tumbling Hedgehog by Thames & Kosmos
- VEX Catapult 2.0 by HEXBUG
CREATIVE TOY OF THE YEAR
Toys that allow kids to build and/or make items that are unique to them
- Blinger by Wicked Cool Toys
- Cool Maker GO GLAM Nail Stamper by Spin Master
- Crayola Glitter Dots by Crayola
- littleBits Electronic Music Inventor Kit by Sphero
- smART Pixelator by Flycatcher Inc.
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Droid Depot Custom Astromech Units by Disney Parks
- Y’Art Craft Kit by Kahootz
DOLL OF THE YEAR
Toys that include baby, toddler, and fashion dolls
- Ballerina Dreamer Dancing Ballerina by Hunter Products USA LLC
- Candylocks Basic Doll by Spin Master
- Creatable World by Mattel, Inc.
- Cry Babies – Kristal Gets Sick & Feels Better by IMC Toys
- Disney Frozen 2: “Into the Unknown” Elsa Doll by JAKKS Pacific
- Disney Princess Ralph Breaks the Internet – Comfy Princess Assortment by Hasbro, Inc.
- L.O.L. Surprise! O.M.G. Fashion Dolls by MGA Entertainment
GAME OF THE YEAR
For families and children’s (ages 0-14) games including board, card, electronic or other physical game formats and puzzles, exclusive of video or app games
- Funkoverse Strategy Game by Funko Games
- Heist by Megableu USA
- MS. MONOPOLY Board Game by Hasbro, Inc.
- Orangutwang by PlayMonster
- Pictionary Air by Mattel, Inc.
- Ravensburger’s Disney Villainous: Evil Comes Prepared by Ravensburger
- Throw Throw Burrito by Exploding Kittens
- UNO Braille by Mattel, Inc.
INFANT/TODDLER TOY OF THE YEAR
Toys that are developed for ages 0-3 (0-18 months infant/18 months-3 years toddler)
- Fisher-Price Linkimals by Mattel, Inc.
- InnyBin by Fat Brain Toy Co.
- KidKraft World of Eric Carle Shape Activity Cube by KidKraft
- LeapBuilders 123 Fix-It Truck by LeapFrog
- Mix & Match-a-Saurus by VTech
- Musical Lili Llama by The Manhattan Toy Company
- Tinker Truck by Radio Flyer
INNOVATIVE TOY OF THE YEAR
Toys that utilise innovative design, technology, or manufacturing processes to enhance play value
- comicam the Instant Comic Camera by Hangzhou Rulei Technology Co., Ltd
- Harry Potter Invisibility Cloak by Wow! Stuff
- Hot Wheels id Smart Track Kit by Mattel, Inc.
- Hot Wheels TechMods by Mattel, Inc.
- RockIt Twist by LeapFrog
- Shashibo (The Shape Shifting Box) by Fun In Motion Toys
- tori Explorer Pack by BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America
LICENSE OF THE YEAR
Character or property that has had success spreading its brand through the development and merchandising of products developed from the intellectual property
- Baby Shark by Pinkfong
- Barbie 60th Anniversary Program by Mattel, Inc.
- JoJo Siwa by Nickelodeon
- Marvel Avengers Endgame by Disney / Marvel Licensing
- PAW Patrol Mighty Pups Super PAWs by Spin Master / Nickelodeon
- Pokémon by The Pokémon Company International
- Ryan’s World by pocket.watch
- Toy Story 4 by The Walt Disney Company
OUTDOOR TOY OF THE YEAR
Toys that are designed for outdoor play, including ride-ons
- Crazy Cart Shift by Razor USA
- Create A Castle by Create A Castle
- EzyRoller Drifter X by EzyRoller LLC
- Globber GoUp COMFORT by Incredible Novelties
- My Buddy Wheels by Yvolution USA, Inc.
- Toilet Paper Blasters Sheet Storm by JAKKS Pacific
- ZURU X-Shot Fast-Fill by ZURU
PLAYSET OF THE YEAR
Toys that are designed to work together to enact some action or event, including characters and role play
- Beyblade Burst Turbo Slingshock Cross Collision Battle Set by Hasbro, Inc.
- Disney Frozen Ultimate Arendelle Castle Playset by Hasbro, Inc.
- Hape Fire Station by Hape International Inc
- Hot Wheels Colossal Crash Track Set by Mattel, Inc.
- L.O.L. Surprise! Winter Disco Chalet by MGA Entertainment
- PLAYMOBIL Mars Space Station by PLAYMOBIL
- Timber Tots by Fat Brain Toy Co.
PLUSH TOY OF THE YEAR
Toys that are made of fabric and stuffed with cotton or similar filling, including toys with interactive or electronic features
- Cutetitos by Basic Fun!
- Dolce Safari Adventure by Magformers/DOLCE
- Little Live Scruff-A-Luvs Real Rescue Electronic Pet by Moose Toys
- Pinkfong Baby Shark Song Puppets with Tempo Control by WowWee
- Pomsies Lumies by Skyrocket Toys
- Shimmer Stars by KD Group
- ZURU Rainbocorns Ultimate Sequin Surprise Series 2 by ZURU
PRESCHOOL TOY OF THE YEAR
Toys that are developed for ages 3-5
- Demo Duke by Spin Master
- Coding Critters by Learning Resources
- Kid Trax Rideamals Unicorn by Pacific Cycle
- Kindi Kids by Moose Toys
- Myla the Magical Unicorn by VTech
- Peppa Pig’s Magical Parade Floats by Jazwares
- Wild Ones by Razor USA
SPECIALTY TOY OF THE YEAR
Toys that are distributed through independent retailers, such as neighbourhood toy stores, and not sold at mass brick and mortar stores. Toys that are sold only online do not qualify
- AirFort by AirFort
- Hape Emergency Services Headquarters by Hape International Inc
- LEGO Ideas Central Perk by LEGO Systems, Inc.
- LEGO Stranger Things The Upside Down by LEGO Systems, Inc.
- littleBits Space Rover Inventor Kit by Sphero
- OombeeBall by Fat Brain Toy Co.
- ThinkFun’s Thinking Putty Puzzle by ThinkFun, Inc.
STEM/STEAM TOY OF THE YEAR
Toys that encourage kids to develop skills (foundational or curricular) in the core disciplines of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics
- Amazing Rescue 50Pc Set by Magformers
- Artie 3000 by Educational Insights
- Beaker Creatures Alien Experiment Lab by Learning Resources
- Crayola Color Chemistry Arctic Lab by Crayola
- Gumball Machine Maker by Thames & Kosmos
- LEGO BOOST Star Wars Droid Commander by LEGO Systems, Inc.
- Mech-5 Mechanical Coding Robot by Elenco
VEHICLE OF THE YEAR
Toy cars, trucks, trains and other vehicles in all scales, including R/C vehicles but exclusive of ride-ons
- Grrrumball by Alpha Group US
- Hot Wheels Mario Kart Die-Cast Vehicle Assortment by Mattel, Inc.
- L.O.L. Surprise! 2-in-1 Glamper by MGA Entertainment
- Monster Jam Mega Grave Digger Remote Control Vehicle by Spin Master
- PJ Masks PJ Seeker by Just Play
- Star Wars D-O Interactive Droid by Hasbro, Inc.
- X-Power Dozer by JAKKS Pacific
The finalists were selected from 633 nominees submitted by 236 companies. Eighteen judges, including toy and play experts, retailers, academics, and journalists, reviewed and ranked the products in categories relevant to their areas of expertise. The judges then participated in a discussion to determine the finalists in each category. They considered each product’s creativity, design, play value, and marketing.
The TOTY Awards gala is open only to toy industry professionals. Tickets for the event will be available for purchase on 2nd December. All TOTY proceeds are donated to The Toy Foundation, which partners with generous toy companies throughout the year to bring brand-new toys to children who are sick, at-risk, in foster care, impoverished, or otherwise in need.
Founded in 1916, The Toy Association is the not-for-profit trade association representing all businesses involved in creating and delivering toys and youth entertainment products for kids of all ages. The Toy Association leads the health and growth of the U.S. toy industry, which has an annual US economic impact of $110.9 billion, and its 1,000+ members drive the annual $28 billion US domestic toy market.
The Toy Association serves as the industry’s voice on the developmental benefits of play, and promotes play’s positive impact on childhood development to consumers and media, and has a long history of leadership in toy safety, having helped develop the first comprehensive toy safety standard more than 40 years ago, and remains committed to working with medical experts, government, consumers, and industry on ongoing programs to ensure safe and fun play.
• More information about the TOTY voting and selection process can be found in the “About the Awards” section of www.ToyAwards.org