If you want a distraction from the grimness of the Coronavirus Pandemic Lockdown and you’re a fan of Doctor Who, then latest Doctor Who Magazine (Issue 550) is on sale now.
With a cover in the style of Victorian ‘Penny Dreadfuls’, this issue celebrates Doctor Who’s mid-1970s classics.
- Showrunner Chris Chibnall and former producer Philip Hinchcliffe – together at the Doctor Who studio!
- Director Michael E Briant describes the making of his 1977 classic The Robots of Death
- Sadie Miller remembers her mother, Sarah Jane Smith actress Elisabeth Sladen
- The Doctor Who Magazine review of Series 12 – every episode from Spyfall to The Timeless Children!
- A diary and scrapbook of 1976-77 – the extraordinary months that spanned the broadcast of Season 14
- A new presentation of Dr Who and the Hell Planet, a 1976 short story by Terrance Dicks
- A review of the new, animated version of The Faceless Ones
- How Robert Holmes reimagined the Time Lords for his 1976 story The Deadly Assassin
- The Fact of Fiction explores the 2006 story Tooth and Claw
- A look at Exploration Earth: The Time Machine, a 1976 schools programme starring Tom Baker and Elisabeth Sladen
- Updates on Doctor Who luminaries, past and present, with Time and Space Visualiser
- Public Image analyses the ratings for the final episodes of Series 12.
- Part Two of “The Piggybackers“, a new comic-strip adventure featuring the Thirteenth Doctor and her friends. The story is written by Scott Gray, pencilled by Martin Geraghty, inked by David A. Roach, coloured by James Offredi and lettered by Roger Langridge
- An all-new “Daft Dimension” from Lew Stringer
- Big Finish previews and reviews, news, prize-winning competitions, The Blogs of Doom and much more!
The issue comes with a 1977-style poster magazine, a TARDIS control-room diorama, a Talons of Weng-Chiang music-hall poster, six collectors’ cards and the means to grab a four-part Big Finish download.
• Doctor Who Magazine Issue 550 is on sale now price £9.99 (UK). Although comic shops and 40 per cent of WHSmith stores have closed, it’s available in many supermarkets – and you can buy it by post and online from doctorwhomagazine.com
Anybody in the UK wanting to take out a six-month subscription starting with Issue 550 should email firstname.lastname@example.org. New subscriptions beginning with 550 will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis as limited copies are available!
With thanks to Lew Stringer