Twenty years ago, a new phase in the history of the legendary 2000AD began – and a brand new special, out today, celebrates the Rebellion era.
The 2000 AD Sci-Fi Special focuses on the 20 years since games developer Rebellion acquired the Galaxy’s Greatest Comic – a 100-page special featuring brand new work from superstar comics talent including Jock (Batman), Al Ewing (Immortal Hulk), Dan Abnett (Guardians of the Galaxy) and many more.
As well as classic cuts from the archives, the Special pits some of the biggest characters and series from past and present against each other in explosive, thrilling, humorous, and brand new adventures. It also dives into the archives to explore Rebellion’s tenure as the publisher of 2000AD.
Originally launched by publishing giant IPC in 1977, 2000AD’s unique blend of innovative and hard-hitting sci-fi, fantasy and action saw it survive and thrive, despite the declining fortunes of the UK comic publishing industry. After being moved to IPC’s Fleetway comics subsidiary, it was sold to Robert Maxwell in 1987 and then to Danish publisher Egmont in 1991.
In 2000, the title, its characters, and its legacy were purchased by brothers Jason Kingsley – interviewed in the Special – and Chris Kingsley, the owners of games developer Rebellion. In post as ‘Tharg the Mighty’ since 2002, editor Matt Smith is now the longest-serving editor in 2000AD’s history and the title has gone on to win multiple domestic awards, as well as being nominated for an Eisner Award in 2013.
• The 2000AD Sci-Fi Special is available now (launching Wednesday 24th June) from all good newsagents and comic book stores, as well as in print and digital from 2000 AD’s webshop and apps
The 2000AD Sci-Fi Special line up
- Judge Dredd: The Immigrant by Al Ewing (Writer) Jake Lynch (Art) Jim Boswell (Colour) Annie Parkhouse (Letters)
- Terror Tales: Scene of the Crime by Al Ewing (Writer) Dom Reardon (Art) Tom Frame (Letters)
- Kingdom: Shako’s Kingdom by Dan Abnett (Writer) Richard Elson (Art) Simon Bowland (Letters)
- Sinister Dexter: Bullet Time by Dan Abnett (Writer) Andy Clarke (Art) Chris Blythe (c) Ellie De Ville (l)
- Storm Warning: Black Storm by John Reppion (Writer) Clint Langley (Art) Jim Campbell (Letters)
- Nikolai Dante: A Farewell to Arms by Robbie Morrison (Writer) Simon Fraser (Art) Gary Caldwell (Colour) Annie Parkhouse (Letters)
- The Red Seas vs Ant Wars by Ian Edginton (Writer) Steve Yeowell (Art) Jim Campbell (Letters)
- Dreams of Deadworld: Fear by Kek-W (Writer) Dave Kendall (Art) Ellie De Ville (Letters)
- Judge Dredd: Leaving Rowdy by John Wagner (Writer) Carlos Ezquerra (Art) Tom Frame (Letters)