SelfMadeHero gets set for Thought Bubble, launching Frederik Peeters’ “Aama”
SelfMadeHero, one of the UK’s leading independent graphic novel publishers, is preparing to burst into this year’s Thought Bubble, Leeds’ Comic Art Festival this weekend, with a whole army of creators and new graphic novels for the centrepiece convention weekend on 23rd – 24th November.
It will also see the official launch of the new sci-fi epic from Frederik Peeters, Aama Volume 1 : The Smell of Warm Dust (see news story) and the creator will be at the Festival.
The SelfMadeHero graphic novelists who are taking part include:
- Kate Brown, award-winning creator of Fish + Chocolate, a collection of three interlinked stories about motherhood
- INJ Culbard, best known for his definitive adaptations of H.P. Lovecraft’s classic horror tales, including At The Mountains of Madness and The Shadow Out of Time
- Rob Davis, author of the acclaimed graphic novel adaptation of Don Quixote and co-editor of the British Comic Award-winning anthology, Nelson
- Glyn Dillon, author and illustrator of the internationally acclaimed The Nao of Brown. He is amongst the nominees for the British Comic Awards
- ILYA, creator of the newly published life-affirming anti-romance, Room For Love, about the relationship between a middle-aged novelist and a teenage runaway
- Frederick Peeters, who will be officially launching his new sci-fi adventure, Aama. His other works for SelfMadeHero include Pachyderme and Sandcastle
- Mark Stafford, artist on the lively adaption of Victor Hugo’s satire, The Man Who Laughs, which is nominated in the ‘Best Book’ category at the British Comic Awards.
- Oscar Zarate, writer and artist, who has just released his latest book, The Park, which tells of the dramatic consequences of one random incident on Hampstead Heath.
All these authors will be signing copies of their books throughout the weekend.
Paul Gravett will host a panel discussion featuring ILYA, Oscar Zarate and Frederik Peeters, focussing on the working processes of these three graphic novelists (Saturday 23rd November at 15:45).
SelfMadeHero aims to publish works that provoke, entertain, inspire, and inform through the medium of the graphic novel. We are proud to publish ground-breaking and beautiful work by authors and artists from across the globe, from the quirky and humorous to the political and profound. Its releases this year include Typex’s Rembrandt, The Man Who Laughs, and The Complete Don Quixote.