Leamington’s award-winning comic convention – Leam Comic Con – is offering independent comic creators the chance to raise their profile and win a table at their 2017 event, and promotional support.
Launching on Small Press Day 2016 this coming weekend (9th July 2016) independent comic creators are being asked to enter online and submit a short video about them, the comic and the inspiration behind it – and downthetubes and Awesome Comics Podcast contributor Tony Esmond is one of the judges.
“Leam Comic Con is dedicated to keeping our comic con about comics and a big part of that is supporting small press creators and local talent alongside mainstream comics,” said Dan Mallier, creator of Leam Comic Con which won him the accolade for ‘Outstanding Achievement’ at Leamington’s Business Awards in 2015.
“By launching the Small Press Factor competition, we’re aiming to discover talented independent comic book creators and give them a helping hand in promoting their work.”
Entrants must be an independent creator that has published a comic on or after 1st January 2015 and will have until 30th November 2016 to submit their work for judging. The judging panel, made up of industry experts and enthusiasts, will be rating entries on originality, artwork, lettering and story. The winner will be declared by 1st December 2016.
“I’m excited to help judge the Small Press Factor 2016,” enthuses Small Press Factor Judge, Tony Esmond from downthetubes.net and The Awesome Comics Podcast. “Anything that supports the next generation of superstar comic creators is a win in my book.”
The Winner will get a free exhibitor table at the next Leam Comic Con to be held at The Spa Centre on 25th March 2017 as well as promotional support before and during the event – and will also be awarded the Small Press Factor 2016 logo for use on their marketing material and the opportunity to appear on a future edition of The Awesome Comics Podcast.
Small Press Factor Competition Guide and Terms and Conditons
- You must be the creator, or have permission from the creator of an independent comic book (small press) that must have been published on or after 1st January 2015
- Entrants must be available to exhibit at Leam Comic Con 2017 on 25th March at the Spa Centre in Leamington Spa
You will be required to complete an online entry form and submit a short video, no longer than 3 minutes in length between 9th July and midnight on 30th November 2016.
- For the full terms and conditions please visit facebook.com/leamcomiccon
- You will be required to post three copies of your comic to Leam Comic Con at 37 Ashmead Road, Hanwell Fields, Banbury, Oxfordshire OX16 1AA or email a digital version to us at us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Entries will be judged on originality, artwork, lettering & story. The winner will be announced by 1st December 2016
The prize is a 6ft by 2ft table at Leam Comic Con 2017 on 25th March. The winner will receive a ‘Winner of Leam Comic Con Small Press Factor 2016’ logo to use on their marketing material, as well as the use of a promotional pop-up banner on the day of the event. The winner will also be promoted by Leam Comic Con on its social media channels and the opportunity to appear on the Awesome Comics Podcast at a date and time to be agreed by the producers. There is no cash alternative and the prize is non-transferable