Three-hundred and nineteen years since the publication of Charles Perrault’s famous Histories du Temps Passé, the myth of Cinderella remains integral to many current facets of our cultures. Inspired by the University of Bedfordshire’s collection of scripts, books, theatrical memorabilia, designs, and ephemera on Cinderella and organised by the Research Institute for Media, Arts and Performance, a conference announced for 2017 – All about Cinderella: retellings in the cultural imagination – will focus on the role of performance and storytelling as a way to analyse moments of significant artistic, cultural and social change.
The interdisciplinary event, taking place at the University of Bedfordshire on 9th – 10th June 2017 will provide an open debate about this ever-present story from different cultural perspectives across the world and the team have invited abstracts of 300 words for 20 minute papers.
Possible themes, which could include Cinderella’s many appearances in comics, such as in Fables, Classics Illustrated, the Disney comics (including the early Dell adaptation of the film), Grimm Fairy Tales and many more, include:
• Cinderella narratives and metaphors
• Cinderella on screen and stage
• Transnational Cinderella
• The publishing of Cinderella
• Victorian Cinderella
• Cinderella and design
• Adaptations of the Cinderella story
• The psychology of Cinderella
Non-traditional proposals featuring collaborative papers, practice-led research, video-essays, elements of performance etc. where they increase our knowledge of the role of re-narration of fairy tales in artistic, cultural and social change are actively encouraged. RIMAP wishes to offer a prize for the best Postgraduate proposal.
Please include the following with your abstract:
• Collaborators’ and presenters’ names, addresses, affiliations, contact details in a short biography, together with a URL to a sample of work (if appropriate). Please state if you are a postgraduate research student.
• Description of the presentation/performance/screening 300 words max (if appropriate)
• Technical or space requirements
• Duration (the standard duration is 20 minutes but you may request multiples)
• Please send your abstracts and support documentation to Cinderella@beds.ac.uk by 11.30pm on 9th December 2016. Notification of acceptance will be sent by 3rd February 2017