The latest issue of the ace Gerry Anderson fanzine, Andersonic, is now on sale. Issue 10 features a new interview with former Century 21 writer and director Leo Eaton in which he discusses his time directing the puppet series, writing for Captain Scarlet, what it was like working on Joe 90 and UFO, why he eventually left the series and how he came to work with Ed Wood.
Other features include:-
• Supermerchandisation – A look at how Century 21 revolutionised the marketing of ‘tie-in’ products in the 1960s. (The Andersonic website has additonal info on this subject)
• Into Infinity – Script to screen feature revealing scenes that didn’t make it to the final version plus a new interview with musician Steve Coe.
• Space:1999 – Earthbound – a look at Anthony Terpiloff’s episode where Christopher Lee gives everyone an egg and Gerald Simmonds Esq does everything he can to get back to where he once belonged.
• Brink of Disaster Retrospective – four writers evaluate one of Thunderbirds‘ most stylish episodes. Is complete automation a viable option? Whadda you think!
• UFO – Survival – Michael Billington makes his UFO debut as test pilot Paul Foster in a moon-based episode that explores prejudice and, er, survival.
• Space Patrol – a look at the 1960s series made by former Anderson alumni Arthur Provis and Roberta Leigh, which had an interesting legacy.
• Review Section – New merchandise reviewed.
• SHADO Staff Handbook – What not to do in your new job. Please sign and return to the HR department. What do you mean you don’t want a lilac gull-wing company car?
• Joe 90 A-Z – everything you need to know about WIN’s 4′ 4″ Most Special Agent.
• X-Planes Extra – more inspirational designs we couldn’t fit in last time. Ever wondered what inspired the design of Thunderbird 1, FAB 1, Supercar and UFO’s Lunar Carrier?
• The new issue is available via the website www.andersonic.co.uk – price £2.40 including UK postage. It will also be available from eBay for a limited period. If you’d prefer to pay by cheque or PO, please get in touch for a postal address via the web site. Back issues are also back in print.
The founder of downthetubes, which he established in 1998. John works as a comics and magazine editor, writer, and on promotional work for the Lakes International Comic Art Festival. He is currently editor of Star Trek Explorer, published by Titan – his third tour of duty on the title originally titled Star Trek Magazine.
Working in British comics publishing since the 1980s, his credits include editor of titles such as Doctor Who Magazine, Babylon 5 Magazine, and more. He also edited the comics anthology STRIP Magazine and edited several audio comics for ROK Comics. He has also edited several comic collections, including volumes of “Charley’s War” and “Dan Dare”.
He’s the writer of “Pilgrim: Secrets and Lies” for B7 Comics; “Crucible”, a creator-owned project with 2000AD artist Smuzz; and “Death Duty” and “Skow Dogs” with Dave Hailwood.
Categories: British Comics