Here’s a quick update on the status of major British comic publishers and their publishing plans as the Coronavirus Pandemic lockdown in the UK continues. We’ve also included some links to places to buy independent British comics, too.
Fans of 2000AD, Beano, Panini UK, Titan Comics and more need to be aware, first and foremost, that many company staff are furloughed, which is delaying response times to subscription and other enquires. Our advice is to be patient if your subscription is delayed, as there may also be hiccups in postal delivery unrelated to company efforts to respond to a surge of new orders.
In a statement on the Covid-19 emergency, Royal Mail say they remain open for business and continue to work hard to collect, process and deliver as much mail and parcels as possible in difficult circumstances. “The postal service is a key part of the UK’s infrastructure. The delivery of parcels and letters is a way of keeping the country together, businesses operating, and helping many people who may not have the option to leave their homes.”
If you’re trying to find individual copies of new releases, some local shops do appear to have better stocks of more titles, perhaps due to reallocation of comics from close WHSmith stores. However, if you’re having problems getting the latest print edition of Beano, Commando or 2000AD, then check the publisher’s web shops and see if they offer individual sales.
If not, then one service worth checking is leading online newsagent Newsstand, which not only offers subscriptions, delivered worldwide, but single issue magazines, too, but be aware there may be postal delays.
2000AD, Judge Dredd Megazine, Roy of the Rovers and other Rebellion titles: The COVID-19 pandemic is an unprecedented challenge to the comic book industry but as a publisher Rebellion says it is determined to support creators, readers, and retailers as best it can at this difficult time. In response, they will continue publishing weekly and monthly comic books, as well as their specials, in print and digital.
However, as we detail here, they have restructured their graphic novel schedule for 2020 into 2021. Some books will go digital-first with their standard print editions pushed back to later in the year, while others have been rescheduled. The Roy of the Rovers book schedule has also been amended.
• 2000AD is online at 2000AD.com | 2000AD web shop for individual issues, collections and subscriptions | Treasury of British Comics | Roy of the Rovers
• 2000AD-related books and more on AmazonUK (Affiliate Link)
• Judge Dredd-related books and more on AmazonUK (Affiliate Link)
Beano (DC Thomson)
• Beano (DC Thomson): The world’s longest-running weekly humour comic isn’t slowing down. It’s still widely on sale and the team celebrated character Roger the Dodger’s “birthday” this week, “born” in 1953 but still aged 10.
“It continues to be Beano As Usual,” say the team, with this week’s comics dispatched to subscribers across the country as normal. “Thanks to Royal Mail’s posties who are working hard to get them to you!”
DC Thomson have begun taking orders for this year’s Beano and Dandy Summer Specials, both on sale next month – and you can buy both as a bundle from their web shop for just £10.
If you want to read some Classic Beano strips for free, check out the Golden Beano digital giveaway!
• Official web site: Beano.com | Subscribe to Beano here
Commando (DC Thomson)
Commando (DC Thomson): Commando continues publication and details of the latest issues on sale are here on downthetubes. Issues are available from open newsagents are here. Digital editions of individual current issues are available from AmazonUK – and you can buy individual current issues from Newsstand.
• Official Commando Comics Site: www.commandocomics.com | Get global action and adventure delivered right to your door when you subscribe to Commando – or subscribe for digital copies here
• Don’t forget The Art of Ian Kennedy is also available to order here on Amazon (Using this Affiliate Link helps support downthetubes, thank you)
Egmont UK – publishers of Disney Princess, Paw Patrol, Trolls, TOXIC and more – continue to publish. Check out their magazine range here.
Immediate Media – publishers of titles such as Andy’s Amazing Adventures, Go Jetters, Mega and Match of the Day magazine – continue to publish and distribute to supermarkets and newsagents. Their full list of titles available in print and digital, is here.
Panini UK – publishers of titles such as Doctor Who Magazine, Strike It and Marvel Collector Editions – note on their official web site that due to the ongoing situation in the UK regarding Covid-19, some deliveries are taking longer than usual due to delays with postage services.
The company recently announced changes to some of the schedules on their Marvel Collectors Edition comics, effectively postponing them by a month. The titles which would normally have gone on sale on 16th April, Avengers Universe #12 and Wolverine and Deadpool #12 are now expected to go on sale on 14th May 2020.
“We will update you here with any further changes to our normal release schedules for each of our comics and magazines whenever new dates are available,” say Panini.”Thank you for your continued support and understanding.”
Astonishing Spider-Man Volume 7 #52 will go on sale 7th May 2020, offering 52 action-packed pages of arachnid adventure.
• Panini UK’s online store remains open and everything is discounted by 20%: https://store.panini.co.uk
• For more details on release dates check the Facebook page – www.facebook.com/MarvelCollectorsEditions | Buy Marvel Collectors’ Editions from Panini direct here
Redan Publishing – publishers of Fun to Learn, Peppa Pig and Sparkle World – continue to publish.
• Official site for subscriptions and title information: redan.co.uk
• Newsstand is online at www.newsstand.co.uk
Note that Newsstand are still despatching orders, but caution that due to the COVID19 pandemic Royal Mail are experiencing delays and you may find deliveries are slightly delayed. “We sincerely appreciate your ongoing patience at this time as we strive to bring entertainment to your doorstep during this unprecedented time,” they state on site. “Please note further international delays should be expected. Please click here for further details.”
• Royal Mail UK postal deliveries – latest news | Coronavirus statement | To stay up to date and manage your deliveries download the Royal Mail app
• Looking for independent comics? Check out the Comichaus platform – www.comichaus.com and GetMyComics – getmycomics.com
• ComicScene also has an online comic hub, a platform providing access to numerous independent comic creators comics, many of whom have featured in the magazine, with new titles introduced every week. Do note that titles ordered there will be sent directly from the creators – which is why you buy any item that interests you individually rather than store in one basket
Stay safe! Stay Well!
Categories: 2000AD, British Comics, downthetubes Comics News, downthetubes News