Acclaimed comics writer Kieron Gillen will lead The Guardian Masterclass on writing comics next month, and you can book a place now.
Guardian Masterclasses offer a broad range of short and long courses across a variety of disciplines from creative writing, journalism, photography and design, film and digital media, music and cultural appreciation. “How to write a comic book: A masterclass with Marvel’s Kieron Gillen” offers a unique opportunity to learn from one of the world’s leading comic book writers.
“Marvel is having a moment,” says The Guardian. “From the minute details in the world-building to the complexity of the characters and the scale of the stories, there are few things more exciting than a really brilliant comic book.
“If you have an idea or concept for your own comic, but aren’t sure how to break into a seemingly closed industry, this masterclass with Marvel’s Kieron Gillen is for you.
“The writer of a huge range of comics – including the critically acclaimed The Wicked + The Divine, and Marvel Comics’ Young Avengers – Kieron will give you the advice he wishes he had heard at the start of his career.
“Combining anecdotes, practical takeaways and a breaking down of individual stories and pages (plus Q&A), Kieron will take you through how to construct your jump-off point into a strong story, how the industry works – and doesn’t work, how to maintain your unique voice and style in a process that might involve more opinions than you’re used to – and more.
“This is a unique opportunity to hear from one of the leading comic book writers in the world. If you’re in the early stages of crafting your own comic, you’re trying to get yours to land in a difficult industry, or if you simply have a story to tell, this is an unmissable chance to have your questions answered, and – more importantly – be on your way to realising your comic writing dream.”
- What a comic script is, what it isn’t and how to make yours yours without making an artist want to kill you.
- The whole Process – from the idea to the finished book to show the world.
- How do you work with artists, editors, inkers, colourists and everyone else. What works? What’s ethical? What’s both?
- Narrative structure, at every level – the panel, the page, the issue, the series.
- How to identify the things in comics that are actively magical and how to make your own…
This course is for…
- Aspiring comic book writers who want to learn the fundamentals before approaching their first project
- Early career writers who are looking for advice and insight into the industry landscape
- Anyone interested in exploring the artistic process of writing comic books
Kieron Gillen is a British comic book writer. He is known for co-creating the acclaimed comics The Wicked + The Divine, DIE and Once & Future. He has also worked on numerous projects for Marvel Comics, including Uncanny X-Men, Darth Vader, Young Avengers, Iron Man, Star Wars and Eternals.
• How to write a comic book: A masterclass with Marvel’s Kieron Gillen runs online from 6.00 – 8.30pm on Tuesday 6th June 2023 BST | Cost: £65 plus £3.56 booking fee (discounts available for Guardian patrons) | Book your place here
A catch up recording will be shared after the class and will be available for two weeks | Full terms and conditions, booking advice here
Categories: British Comics, Comics, Comics Studies, Creating Comics, downthetubes Comics News, downthetubes News, Events