The Christmas issue of the fanzine devoted to the original Eagle comic, Eagle Times, published by The Eagle Society, is now available.
Volume 21 Issue 4 includes articles on artists Tony Weare and Ian Kennedy, the first part of a series of features on Frank Bellamy’s “Heros the Spartan”, beginning a review of Eagle‘s popular 1960s sword and sorcery strip.
The issue’s “I was there” feature covers the launch of Denis Gifford’s Ally Sloper Magazine in 1976 and there’s more onthe title’s second issue dummy, including Norman Thelwell’s “Pop Milligan” and Frank Hampson’s “The Great Adventurer”, the story of Saint Paul.
Joan Porter’s recollections of the Bakehouse Studio in the 1950s also feature, as does Part Two of “The Career of Ian Kennedy” from the 1980s to the new millennium.
Winter 2008 contents
- Memories of Christmas Past – seasonal cards and drawings by some of the best
- A Kennedy Christmas – some of Ian Kennedy’s Christmas-themed comics and annual covers
- The Career of Ian Kennedy – part 2, from the eighties to the new millenium
- More of EAGLE’s 2nd issue dummy, including Norman Thelwell’s ‘Pop Milligan’ and Frank Hampson’s ‘The Great Adventurer’ – with Joan Porter’s recollections of the Bakehouse Studio in the 1950s
- Frank Hampson at the Festival – a contemporary note written by Frank Hampson on the Angouleme Comics Festival, 1978
- PC49 – The Case of the Galloping Ghost
- An account of the Chad Varah Memorial Service at St Paul’s Cathedral, held on 12th November, 2008
- “I was there” – the launch of Denis Gifford’s Ally Sloper Magazine in 1976
- Who’s who No. 50
- The Eagle Annual of the Cutaways – book review
- Heros the Spartan – part 1, beginning a review of EAGLE’s popular 1960s sword and sorcery strip
- Tony Weare – part 2, concluding the life of a favourite artist
- Books for Christmas – a seasonal review
- EAGLE on the web
- Pop Music in EAGLE Times – 1963
Membership of The Eagle Society is via Annual Subscription to Eagle Times magazine, which is published four times annually. The Subscription rate for 2009 is UK £22, Overseas £34 (paymenst must be in £s Sterling, please)
To join, apply by mail to: Keith Howard, 25A Station Road, Harrow, Middlesex HA1 2UA United Kingdom. Enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
• More information on the new issue via the Eagle Times blog
Categories: British Comics, downthetubes Comics News, downthetubes News