A new series of 65p and £1.55 stamps commissioned to mark the 250th anniversary of the Royal Academy.
Royal Mail’s Special Stamp programme has commemorated anniversaries and celebrated events relevant to UK heritage and life for more than 50 years. There are an estimated 2.5 million stamp collectors and gift givers in the UK and millions worldwide.
Her Majesty The Queen approves all UK stamp designs before they are issued.
Based in London, the Royal Academy, celebrating 250years since since King George III, signed the Instrument of Foundation on 10th December 1768, is home to Britain’s longest established art school, the RA Schools.
Every year since 1768 it has held an annual Summer Exhibition, the largest open-submission art exhibition in the world.
The Academy presents its collection of art and architecture in free displays throughout their home on Piccadilly, and puts on exhibitions of art from around the world, welcoming hundreds of thousands of people to their galleries each year.
The new Royal Academy stamps comprise Summer Exhibition by Grayson Perry RA, First Class; Queen of the Sky by Fiona Rae RA, First Class; St Kilda: The Great Sea Stacs by Norman Ackroyd RA,£1.25; Inverleith Allotments and Edinburgh Castle by Barbara Rae RA, £1.25; Queuing at the RA by Yinka Shonibare RA, £1.55; and Saying Goodbye by Tracey Emin RA, £1.55.
• The Royal Academy is at Burlington House, Piccadilly, London, W1J 0BD. Web: www.royalacademy.org.uk
2018 Royal Mail Stamp Releases
- Released 23rd January – Game of Thrones
- Released 15th February – Votes for Women
- Released 20th March – The RAF Centenary
- Released 17th April – Reintroduced Species
- Released 11th May – Owls
- 5th June – Royal Academy of Arts
- 26th June – Dad’s Army
- 31st July – Hampton Court Palace
- 16th August – Captain Cook and the Endeavour
- 30th August – To Be Announced
- 13th September – The First World War- 1918
- 16th October – To Be Announced
- 1st November – Christmas
- 14th November – HRH The Prince of Wales: 70th Birthday