‘After Smith’ is a new exhibition work opening in Germany today that re-interprets 10 pages of comics originally written by John Smith, and drawn by eight different artists as abstract works, as part of the ongoing ‘Intercorstal’ project created by Gareth A Hopkins.
Gareth is an artist whose current main focus is an abstract comic called ‘The Intercorstal’ which he has been working on it in one form or another since 2008.
“In that time my purposes and methods for creating pages has changed dramatically,” he says, “but the whole thing is held together by my drawing style and sensibilities.
“I was recently asked by Projektraum 404, an arts group in Bremen, to exhibit with them as part of their Abstrakte Comics series of shows, which includes other abstract comics artists from around the world,” says Essex-based Gareth. “The second part of the series includes myself and the French artist Florian Huet.
“For my part, I have completed a ten-page project called ‘After Smith’ which reworks comic pages originally written by John Smith, predominantly for 2000AD.”
Accompanying the exhibition will be a free booklet, featuring an introduction by the blogger Tom Whitely (who writes at suggestedformaturereaders.wordpress.com) along with images of the finished reworkings, alongside their originals.
• Abstrakte Comics 2 opens in Bremen on 11th September and runs through to the 4th October. Projektraum 404 is at Hegelstraße 38, Bremen, Germany and the Facebook Event for the exhibition can be found here
• For all the “After Smith’ images featured visit: http://intercorstal.com/after-smith-gallery
• The rest of The Intercorstal can be found here: http://intercorstal.com
- London’s Illustration Cupboard’s 3rd Annual Political Cartoon Exhibition open
- Kendal Calling: An Interview with Visionary Storyteller Frank Santoro