As we’ve previously reported on downthetubes, Scream Street creator, Beano writer, Doctor Who author and all round lovely guy, Tommy Donbavand, has been diagnosed with cancer and is currently recovering from a series of painful and unpleasant treatments as he battles to kick this horrible, horrible disease into touch.
If you follow Tommy’s blog (www.tommyvcancer.com) you’ll know that one of the worst things he has to face, in addition to the physical and mental pain, is the inability to write and visit schools – a major part of the income he and his family rely on to live.
Although the good news is that’s he’s just been discharged from hospital after many weeks of treatment (hopefully for the last time), it will still be some time before this marvellous creator will be back in action.
Being writer types, Paul Magrs and Stuart Douglas at Obverse Books thought it might be a good idea to put together a Doctor Who short story collection, with all the profits going to help Tommy in what really is his hour of need.
And, due to the kindness and commitment of a plethora of authors, including Paul Cornell, Steve Cole, Barry Hutchison and Una McCormack, that’s what they’ve done.
“A Target for Tommy seemed the perfect title for a book where anything Who-ish goes – any Doctor, any companion, any sort of story,” says Stuart.
The book will be published in the summer.
“Tommy’s one of our own and right at this moment he could do with our help.”
- Sharon Tregenza – Street of the Scream
- Barry Hutchison – Curse of the Bog Women
- Paul Magrs – Miss Hawthorne and the Alpaca of Doom
- Andrew Hunt – The Triplet Impertinence
- Sarah Hadley – Sweetie
- Elton Townend-Jones – The Blurred Man
- Iain McLaughlin – The Other Three Doctors
- Lawrence Burton – The Time Wrestlers
- Andrew Hickey – The Bogeyman
- Daniel Blythe – The Channel Hoppers
- Kara Dennison – Doctor Who and the Viking
- Andrew Lawston – Time War Cutaway
- Nick Campbelll – The Secret Keeper
- Nick Wallace – @allnewdoctorwho
- Matt Bright – Eyebrows and Fish
- Rachel Redhead – The Doctor and the Witch
- Philip Ardagh – What the Who?
- Philip Marsh – The Palace
- Roy Gill – Deus Ex Food Machine
- Ian Potter – Leo Reflects
- Simon Forward – Companions
- Blair Bidmead – Significant Others
- Stuart Douglas – Mapp, Lucia and the Lords of Time
- Una McCormack – Directors Cut
- Simon Bucher-Jones- The Ox Bow Train
- Stewart Sheargold-Pearce – Rock n Roll Alien
- Paul Cornell – The Last Doctor
- Steve Cole – Dr Who and the Mytex Power