Here’s a list of comics – both US and UK releases – on sale in specialist UK comic shops from tomorrow, Wednesday 1st October 2014, courtesy of First Age Comics, Lancaster. We’ve picked out the titles published by British publishers in bold below, or titles with a British connection we’re aware of.
The latest chapter in “The Grievous Journey of Ichabod Azrael (And The Dead Left In His Wake)” flows from the pens of the nefarious Rob Williams (The Royals) and the ne’erdowell Mike Dowling (Death Sentence) this week in 2000AD Prog 1901.
This new chapter continues the tale of evil, brutality, despair, and vengeance that will shake the very gates of death itself. Ichabod is the deadliest, meanest son-of-a-gun the Old West ever spat out but who, exactly, is behind his murder, what is this strange land beyond death that he finds himself in? And can he kill his way through the afterlife in order to once again return to the living?
“Ichabod” caused a sensation amongst fans when the first series debuted in 2010. He’s a gunslinger who killed one too many people and when he is murdered he awakes in the afterlife – but while his burning desire to return to the land of the living spurs him on, the many souls who he dispatched are less willing to see him leave. Now, having fought his way through this life and the next, he finds himself at the shores of the River Stix.
“’The Grievous Journey Of Ichabod Azrael’ is a bloody, romantic supernatural western filtered through the language of Daniel Woodrell and the cinematic imagery of Terrence Malick,” says Rob Williams. “Gunfights, manhunts, demons, both real and internal, and a redemption quest like no other – if you loved someone enough, would you kill everything in heaven and hell in order to return to that person? Can one dead man be too mean for the afterlife?”
Prog 1901 – also featuring “Judge Dredd”, “Stickleback”, “Kingdom” and “Greysuit” will be available in comic shops, all good newsagents and digitally through the 2000AD iPad app or DRM-free from www.shop.2000ADonline.com
Also on sale tomorrow is the eagerly-awaited third issue of Doctor Who: The Eleventh Doctor from Titan Comics, also written by Rob Williams (the mann’s a machine!) and drawn by Simon Fraser with colouring by Gary Caldwell.
There’s a devil out on the bayou, or so they say… Something stalking bluesmen through the swamps of Mississippi, offering them talent beyond imagining, worlds at their feet – in exchange for their souls!
When Alice asks the Doctor if they can visit one of her mother’s musical heroes, she’s initially disappointed. Is Jones, a forgettable singer whose talent seems to be that of disappearing in a crowded room, really the colossal talent who brought passion, creativity and meaning to her mother’s life?
And what does he have to do with the nightmarish deals taking place in the dead of night…?
Those of you wondering what’s happening to Doctor Who: The Twelfth Doctor #1 (written by Robbie Morrison) should know it’s now set to hit the stands on 15th October. We’ve seen some pages from the first issue, drawn by Dave Taylor, and they look fantastic!
Was a murder covered up? Or did the movie starlet commit suicide? And how does the show go on with a dead leading lady and an unfinished film? Those are the questions posed in The Fade Out #2 from Image Comics by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips, on sale tomorrow… and their new, stunning, crime noir masterpiece is just getting started!
Don’t forget The Beano is on sale in all good newsagents tomorrow, too!
- 2000AD Prog 1901
- Action Comics 35 DOOMED
- Adventure Time 32
- Alex + Ada 9
- American Vampire: Second Cycle 5
- Angel And Faith Season Ten 7
- Aquaman And The Others 6
- Armor Hunters: Aftermath 1
- Batman 66 Meets Green Hornet 5
- Batman Eternal 26
- Batman/Superman 14
- Batman Trade Paperback Volume 4 ZERO YEAR SECRET CITY
- Black Widow 11
- Bloodshot 24
- Bucky Barnes: Winter Soldier 1
- Dark Tower: Drawing Of Three – Prisoner 3
- Death Of Wolverine 3
- Detective Comics 35
- Doctor Who 11th Doctor 3
- Edge OF Spider-Verse 4
- Fade Out 2 (by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips)
- Fairest 30 DEFY
- Fantastic Four Annual 1 (by James Robinson and Tom Grummett)
- Fearless Dawn: Eye Of The Beholder One-Shot
- Fiction Squad 1
- Figment 5
- Flash Season Zero 1
- God Hates Astronauts 2
- God Is Dead 21
- Gotham Academy 1 (recommended by Emma Vieceli)
- Grayson 3
- Green Arrow 35
- Green Lantern 35 GODHEAD
- Green Lantern/New Gods: Godhead 1
- Guardians 3000 Issue 1 (by Dan Abnett, art by Gerardo Sandoval)
- Hack/Slash: Son Of Samhain 4
- Hinterkind 12 DEFY
- Infinite Crisis: Fight For The Multiverse 3
- Injustice: Gods Among Us Year Two Annual 1
- Jim Butcher Dresden Files War Cry 5
- Justice League 34
- Justice League 3000 Issue 10
- Kill Shakespeare: Mask Of Night 4
- Knights Of The Dinner Table 213
- Legendary Star Lord 4
- Lil Depressed Boy: Supposed To Be There Too 1
- Lobo 1
- Looney Tunes 221
- Marvel Graphic Novel Collection Volume 73 LIFE AND DEATH OF CAPTAIN MARVEL
- Masterplasty One-Shot
- Men Of Wrath By Jason Aaron 1
- Miracleman 11
- Moon Knight 8
- Morning Glories 41
- Nailbiter 6
- Names 2
- New 52 Futures End 22
- New Vampirella 5
- Rat Queens 8
- Robocop 2014 Issue 4
- Sally Of The Wasteland 3
- Silent Hill: Downpour – Annes Story 2
- Silver Surfer 6
- Soul Eater Trade Paperback Volume 22
- Spider-Man 2099 Issue 4
- Squidder 4
- Swamp Thing 35
- Tech Jacket 4
- Thor 1
- Tiny Titans Return To The Treehouse 5
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Ongoing 38
- Transformers IDW Collection Hard Cover Volume 1
- Uncanny Avengers 25 AXIS
- Walking Dead 132 (by Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard)
- Witchblade 178
- Wonder Woman 34
- Woods 6
- X-Files Year Zero 3
- X-Men 20
• First Age Comics is at 3 Moor Lane, Lancaster LA1 1QD. Open: Tuesday – Friday 10.00am – 4.30pm, Saturday 10.00am – 5.30pm. Find them on Facebook
• First Age Comics also has a shop site on e-Bay: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/First-Age
The founder of downthetubes, which he established in 1998. John works as a comics and magazine editor, writer, and on promotional work for the Lakes International Comic Art Festival. He is currently editor of Star Trek Explorer, published by Titan – his third tour of duty on the title originally titled Star Trek Magazine.
Working in British comics publishing since the 1980s, his credits include editor of titles such as Doctor Who Magazine, Babylon 5 Magazine, and more. He also edited the comics anthology STRIP Magazine and edited several audio comics for ROK Comics. He has also edited several comic collections, including volumes of “Charley’s War” and “Dan Dare”.
He’s the writer of “Pilgrim: Secrets and Lies” for B7 Comics; “Crucible”, a creator-owned project with 2000AD artist Smuzz; and “Death Duty” and “Skow Dogs” with Dave Hailwood.