The organisers of Graphic Gothic, an event to be held at Manchester Metropolitan University in July 2016, have put out a Call For Papers. The event is being organised in association with Studies in Comics (Intellect Books), the Journal of Graphic Novels and Comics (Routledge), and the Gothic Studies Network.
Proposals (for 20 minute papers) on the relationship between comics and Gothic are now invited for our seventh annual conference, including but not limited to:
- Gothic icons and archetypes in comics (vampires, zombies, witches, monsters, ghosts, and everything else!)
- Gothic symbols and structures in comics (the crypt, the Other, etc.)
- Psychoanalytic readings and themes of comics (the uncanny, the abject, fragmented identity, etc.)
- Horror and violence
- Censorship, sensation and outrage
- Monstrosity and the grotesque
- Caricature and subversion
- The Grand Guignol, the theatrical and the Romantic
- Absorption, inversion, subversion, authenticity
- Classic gothic texts, adaptation and rewriting
- Gothic and underground subcultures and music
Papers not related to any of the above themes will be considered for the third day of the conference. Selected conference papers will be published in one of the above journals, or an edited collection.
• Submit your abstract (300 words) and brief biography (100 words) to email@example.com before 1st December 2015