Rachael Smith, artist behind The Rabbit, Artificial Flowers and the humour comics in Titan Comics’ Doctor Who: Tenth Doctor comic series, has just launched a Patreon campaign which will hopefully enable her to continue with her webcomic, Bess.
Hebden Bridge-based Rachael’s debut graphic novel House Party came out in 2014 with Great Beast Comics to critical acclaim. The Rabbit, released by Avery Hill Publishing in 2015 (more info here), is her second graphic novel and was nominated for Best Book in the British Comic Awards 2014/15. Rachael is also the creator of Flimsy the Kitten and One Good Thing. She currently works with Titan Comics on her monthly strip for the Doctor Who comic series, and is working on her webcomic, Bess, which launched November 2015.
Bess is a story about feminism, ideals of beauty, and mythological Japanese monsters, and is set mainly in a supermarket in Hull. The story focuses on Lyndsey, a young woman who’s having a bit of a rough time of it lately. Her life is about to get turned upside-down pretty soon though…
If Rachael’s Patreon reaches $300 per month (about £203.96) then Bess will resume updating once a week.
In order to reach this monthly goal, Rachael will be offering three different monthly rewards:
- For $3 per month: Patrons will get access to Rachael’s brand new, Patreon-exclusive diary comic which will update three times a week. Rachael will also post behind-the-scenes photos, brand new comic pages, and info about when she’s working on new projects. Patron’s will also get to see regular updates such as Ask Flimsy before anyone else does
- For $10 per month: Patrons will get everything in the $3 reward tier plus a brand new Rachael Smith-designed postcard ,with an original sketch and message on the back, sent to you in the mail every month
- For $50 per month: Patrons will get everything in the first two reward tiers plus an A3, original, signed comic page by Rachael Smith will be sent to you in the mail every month. These pages may be from a completed project, such as The Rabbit, Artificial Flowers, etc – or they could be from a project Rachael is currently working on, such as Doctor Who
“I haven’t worked on diary comics since my critically acclaimed ‘One Good Thing‘ project ended at the end of 2014,” says Rachael, “so I’m excited to take on the challenge again for my Patrons!”
We love Rachael’s work here at downthetubes, so head over to Patreon (where a good number of other British comic creators such as Dan Berry, Laura Watton-Davies, Al Davison, Lizz Lunney and Gareth Southwell can also be found)
- Back Rachael’s Patreon at: www.patreon.com/rachaelsmith
- Rachael’s website: www.rachaelsmith.org
- Rachael’s Twitter: @rachael_
- Rachael’s Facebook: facebook.com/rachaelsmithillustration
- Rachael’s Instagram: @flimsy_kitten/
- Bess: besscomic.tumblr.com
- Ask Flimsy: askflimsy.tumblr.com
- One Good Thing: rachaelsonegoodthing.blogspot.co.uk