The first edition of the Eagle Society’s Eagle Times for 2019 is out now, and offers an exclusive interview with cutaway and comic artist Peter Sarson, plus features on the The New Eagle cutaways – and the long-running weekly comic, Look-In.
Peter Sarson was a major ‘cutaway’ artist on the new Eagle in the 1990s and both this interview, and the cutaways feature, are the work of downthetubes contributor Jeremy Briggs, offering terrific insights into the work that went into this hugely popular feature.
Cutaways, which ran in so many British comics, including the original Eagle, Lion, Look and Learn and more were positively inspirational at one time – and it’s great to learn more about how some were put together. The articles are a great follow up to the features in the last issue of Eagle Times, also by Jeremy, which included an interview with 1980s cutaway artist Lionel Jeans.
As we’ve previously reported, Eagle Times has expanded its coverage of British comics beyond the original Eagle, and while you’ll still get articles on the 1950s and 60s comic, the magazine is exploring the history of other great British comics, too. Jim Duckett’s introduction to the weekly comic Look-In, which ran for 23 years, is the latest example.
Of course, its core coverage remains Eagle-focused, and includes features on the “Marco Polo” strip, a “Back Page” strip that never was item on Lawrence of Arabia. And an investigation into “The Little Big Horn” – but my favourite item this issue is a fascinating item pondering Dan Dare’s possible influence on the Russian space program in the 1950s, thanks to a chance encounter between Russian Embassy staff and a young Eagle reader, Chris Stock, at a rural British garage…
IN THIS ISSUE…
• Was Dan Dare Instrumental in Russia’s Contribution to the Space Race? by Chris Stock
• Lawrence of Arabia – The Backpager That Never Was by Andrew Coffey
• A Look at Look-In by Jim Duckett
• “The Travels of Marco Polo” (Part One) by Steve Winders</>
• Eagle‘s Cutaways – The Centrespreads by Jeremy Briggs
• Drawing the Centrespreads – An interview with artist Peter Sarson by Jeremy Briggs• Dan Dare – Acting His Age – a short piece about actors mooted to play Dan on TV
• Charles Chilton and the Indian Wars (Part Four) by David Britton
• “The Case of the Counterfeit Constable” – A new Archie Willoughby adventure by Steve Winders
• Membership of THE EAGLE SOCIETY is via Annual Subscription to EAGLE TIMES magazine, which is published four times annually. The Subscription rate for 2019 has been frozen at the 2018 rate: UK £29 | Overseas £40 (in £s Sterling, please).
Postal applications to Eagle Society Membership Secretary Bob Corn, Wellcroft Cottage, Wellcroft, Ivinghoe, Bucks LU7 9EF. If you wish to pay by Paypal (from your Paypal account to the eagle-times hotmail address given below) – the Society request that you make your payment as a GIFT). Enquiries:firstname.lastname@example.org | Full details can be found at eagle-times.blogspot.com