Diamond has its top selling US comic lists, and so do the big London comic shops and many others. So here at downthetubes, we thought it high time we had our own Top Ten Comics chart documenting top sellers in British comic shops.
But given our support of both the small press as well as the mainstream, we asked our own small but perfectly formed local comic shop, First Age Comics, if they would supply it.
They agreed, so this week’s chart, complete with some notes from co-owner of the store, Mark Braithwaite. Take it away, sir!
This Week’s Top Ten Selling Titles At First Age Comics (Week ending 15th May 2015)
1) Secret Wars #2 (Marvel Comics)
2) Convergence #6 (DC Comics)
3) Convergence: Batman Shadow Of The Bat #2 (DC Comics)
4) Thor #8 (Marvel Comics)
5) Saga #28 (Image Comics)
6) Convergence: Green Lantern Parallax #2 (DC Comics)/Darth Vader 5 (Marvel Comics)
7) Convergence: Green Arrow #1 (DC Comics)/Kanan Last Padawan 2 (Marvel Comics)
8) Southern Cross/Walking Dead #141 (Image Comics)
9) My Little Pony Friends Forever #16 (IDW Comics)
10) Injection #1 (Image Comics)
Secret Wars retains the top spot this week just about holding off Convergence #6 and Convergence: Batman Shadow Of The Bat #2 this week, while the big reveal of the new Thor ensures Thor #8 enters into the chart highly and the Image Comics big hitters, Saga, Walking Dead and Southern Cross, hold their own against DC/Marvel.
The delayed Kanan: The Last Padawan 2 contributes to a double Star Wars week with Darth Vader #5 winning the battle between the two. The Sith edged out the Force this time – maybe next time, young padawan.
Popular with readers young and old, My Little Pony: Friends Forever #16 also has a strong showing with the new Warren Ellis project Injection just about squeaking in ahead of the rest.
• First Age Comics is located at 3 Moor Lane, Lancaster – one of the most historic streets in the city. If you’re ever in the area and would like to visit, their opening hours are Tuesday-Friday 10.00am – 4.30pm, Saturday 10.00am – 5.30pm. The store also has an online presence on eBay, Facebook and Twitter @FirstAgeComics
The founder of downthetubes, John works as a comics editor, writer, as Creative Consultant on the Dan Dare audio adventures for B7 Media, and on promotional work for the Lakes International Comic Art Festival.
Working in British comics publishing for over 30 years, his credits include editor of titles such as Doctor Who Magazine, Star Trek Magazine and Babylon 5 Magazine. He also edited the comics anthology STRIP Magazine and edited several audio comics for ROK Comics. He has also edited several comic collections, including volumes of “Charley’s War and “Dan Dare”.
He’s the writer of “Crucible”, a creator-owned project with 2000AD artist Smuzz, published on Tapastic; and “Death Duty” and “Skow Dogs” with Dave Hailwood for digital comic 100% Biodegradable.