British publisher Haynes is following up its successful fictional guides to the workings of Thunderbirds and Wallace & Gromit with a Dan Dare Spacefleet Operations Manual, written by Rod Barzilay with illustrations by Graham Bleathman.
Set for release next June, this innovative Haynes Manual will take a detailed look inside the spaceships, space stations and various other craft that played such a huge part in bringing the excitement of space travel to the Dan Dare stories featured in Eagle.
Beautifully illustrated with cutaway artwork by Graham Bleathman and supported by fabulous contemporary comic-strip art, Haynes tells us this will be “the ultimate technical guide to the spaceships of Dan Dare and a wonderful addition to every comic fan’s bookshelf”.
The book includes:
- An introduction by Dan Dare and brief history of world government
- New discoveries, including cutaways of impulse drive and gravity motors
- Spacefleet and civilian spacecraft, including cutaways of all major craft
- Bases, space stations and defence craft, including Spacefleet HQ
- Alien craft including the Mekon’s craft and feature on Dan Dare’s own ship, the Anastasia
- New drive systems and what the future holds
Rod Barzilay will of course be well known to many downthetubes readers as the founding editor of the Dan Dare-inspired comic magazine Spaceship Away, while Graham Bleathman’s art has graced a huge range of newspapers and magazines, from cutaways of Thunderbirds and other Gerry Anderson craft to the workings of Walford’s famous square from EastEnders.