If the nights are drawing in, and the air has a chill does that mean it is time for this year’s edition of Something Wicked from Futurequake Press? It surely does.
The celebrated anthology returns for 2018 with 23 tales and a host of creators old and new, wrapped in a stunning cover by Matt Sandbrook.
Running to 92 pages, this year’s Something Wicked is packed with strips, ranging from one pages through to long form. The range of art and storytelling is thoroughly enjoyable, although of course, as usual, some stories were better than others. For me, the horror genre is often a little bit predictable, but there are strips here that twist the medium brilliantly.
I particularly liked for example “ChitChatChum” by writer Nick Brian and artist Mike Walters, which sees the human race invest in the idea of a tech gadget that helps you deal with inane conversation. Paul Goodenough offers a great story too, in “The Perfect Man”, drawn by Denis Vermesse.
There is great art and story too, on the strips such as “Dog Fight” (art by Kristian Carstensen, script by George White), “Rolling Dark” (Edward R. Norden, script by Michael Norwitz) and “The Hyena” (Brett Burbridge, script by Karl Brandt), and all in all this latest Something Wicked is definitely a treat for horror comic fans.
It will be on sale at Thought Bubble Festival this weekend, so why not stop by the Futurequake press table and I entreat you give it a look. Please, or they’ll set zombies on me… I can hear them scraping along the street even now…
Strips in this issue…
- A New Hobby by writer Sam Bayley and artist Simon Bennett Hayes
- A Terrible Thing by writer Billy Peery and artist Anthony O’Donnell
- Beneath the Ice by writer Karl Brandt and artist Aaron Miller
- Best Mate Archie by writer Ian Sherred and artist Thodoris Laourdekis
- Blessed Phantoms by writer Alec Robertson and artist Chris Geary
- Chit Chat Chum by writer Nick Bryan and artist Mike Walters
- Dog Fight by writer George White and artist Kristian Carstensen
- Home Again by writer PL Woods and artist Jerome Canty
- Hush A Bye, Baby by writer N Tomasiello and artist Richard Waugh
- In the Basement by writer Jonathan Stevenson and artist Pete Woods
- Jigsaw by writer Jonathan Stevenson and artist Danos Philopoulos
- Mommy’s Little Angel by writer Tim West and artist Robomonkey147
- Nevermore by writer Andrej Bunjac and artist Anthony O’Donnell
- Possessed by writer Iten and artist Carlos Angeli
- Rolling Dark by writer Micheal Norwitz and artist Ed Norden
- Tethered by writer Micheal J Lyle and artist Denis Vermesse
- The Childermass Effect by writer David Conway and artist Lucas Peveril
- The Dabbler by writer Chris Tresson and artist Matt Sandbrook
- The House by writer Daniel Bell and artist Ken Best
- The Hyena by writer Karl Brandt and artist Brett Burbridge
- The Law of the tongue by writer Karl Brandt and artist Jerome Canty
- The Most Beautiful Bird by writer Carlos Pozo and artist Martina Marzullo
- The Perfect Man by writer Paul Goodenough and artist Denis Vermesse
• Something Wicked 2018 is available now, price £6.50, from www.futurequake.co.uk