Back in in 2007 (or maybe earlier, my zombie brain isn’t quite working properly today), British independent comics publisher FutureQuake Press launchd Something Wicked, a horror anthology that included work from the likes of Cullen Bunn, Al Ewing, PJ Holden, Michael Carroll, Cavan Scott and Keith Burns. Whatever happened to them, eh? Oh, wait…
Long out of print, the good news is that Something Wicked Issue One is now available as a digital edition via comiXology.
This is a great opportunity to pick up a truly spok-tacular horror comic – right before you head over to the FutureQuake Press web site and buy last year’s Something Wicked special, or other still-in-print back issues. Who knows which names in the latest editions of this gruesome gorefest will end up at 2000AD or one of the top US publishers?
All for a middling £1.49, the digital Something Wicked Issue One features:
- A Portrait of Perdition (writer) Al Ewing, (art) Flint Hasbudak
- Blood Money (writer/Art) Christine Harper
- By the Pricking of My Thumbs (Writer) Ed Berridge, (Art) Keith Burns Reprinted in Meg 244 (May 2006)
- Chalky (Writer) Ed Berridge, (Art) Dom Reardon
- Dark Rider, Pale Horse Writers) Cullen Bunn & Shaun Lee, (Art) Johnny Mcmonagle
- Dry Bone Gumbo (Writers) Ed Berridge & Richmond Clements, (Art) Bryan Coyle
- From Beyond the Grave: Comics From Hell (Writer) Ed Berridge ,Text feature
- Never Talk to Strangers (Writer) Richmond Clements, (Art) Ed Traquino
- Night Thoughts (Writer) Ed Berridge (Art) Brian Janchez
- On the Prowl (Writer) Mark Woodland (Art) Bryan Coyle
- Serpent’s Tale (Writer) Ed Berridge, (Art) Bolt-01& Dan Evans (Originally presented as bookends to the comic)
- Step Right Up (Writer) Cavan Scott (Art) Dunk! Nimmo
- The Other Side (Writer / Art) Adrian Bamforth
- The Painting (Writer) Arthur Wyatt (Art) Vicky Stonebridge
- Tides & Currents (Writer) Paul Scott (Art) Julia Bax
The founder of downthetubes, which he established in 1998. John works as a comics and magazine editor, writer, and on promotional work for the Lakes International Comic Art Festival. He is currently editor of Star Trek Explorer, published by Titan – his third tour of duty on the title originally titled Star Trek Magazine.
Working in British comics publishing since the 1980s, his credits include editor of titles such as Doctor Who Magazine, Babylon 5 Magazine, and more. He also edited the comics anthology STRIP Magazine and edited several audio comics for ROK Comics. He has also edited several comic collections, including volumes of “Charley’s War” and “Dan Dare”.
He’s the writer of “Pilgrim: Secrets and Lies” for B7 Comics; “Crucible”, a creator-owned project with 2000AD artist Smuzz; and “Death Duty” and “Skow Dogs” with Dave Hailwood.