Trailed last year, there’s a major Zombie event coming to 2000AD and Judge Dredd Megazine next week, as a talented host of creators, some new to Rebellion titles offer an alternative, undead-laden end to the epic tale, “Judgement Day”.
This month, it will be thirty years since Judgement Day was averted… but it could have been very different, as Rebellion bring us “the comics event of the year” – an epic undead crossover comes to the 2000AD multiverse.
To mark the event, the 2000AD is offering a 2000AD Prog 2300 and Judge Dredd Megazine 448 bundle, both of which combine into one zarjaz epic storyline.
Longtime fans of 2000AD will know “Judgement Day”, centring on Judge Dredd, was first published with alternating episodes in both 2000AD and the Judge Dredd Megazine in 1992, a new collection out next year, the first crossover between the two publications, and a crossover with another 2000AD series, Strontium Dog, the second occasion on which Judge Dredd confronted Johnny Alpha. Written by Garth Ennis (based on an idea by John Wagner) the story was illustrated by Carlos Ezquerra, Peter Doherty, Dean Ormston and Chris Halls.
Set mainly in 2114, “Judgement Day” tells of how the Fourth World War took the lives of three billion people, when a powerful necromagus called Sabbat raised all the corpses in the world as zombies. The series is notable because it was Ennis’ longest Dredd story, killed off most of the supporting cast of the Judge Dredd series, and it was the first story to feature Johnny Alpha since he was killed off at the end of the Strontium Dog series (from Alpha’s point of view, the tale was set two years before his death).
Riffing off the 1990s mega-epic ‘Judgement Day’, the myriad of worlds from 2000AD’s 45 years converge in an explosion of death and destruction!
The issues feature work by Ken Niemand, Henry Flint, Mike Carroll, Gary Erskine, Emma Beeby, Neil Googe, Karl Stock, Kieran McKeown, Dan Abnett, Russell M. Olson, Ian Edginton, D’Israeli, Arthur Wyatt, Toby Willsmer, Rob Williams, Staz Johnson, Leigh Gallagher, Kei Zama, Honor Vincent, Boo Cook, Gordon Rennie, Dan Cornwell, James Peaty, Nicolo Assirelli, Liam Johnson, Conor Boyle, and Steve Yeowell.
2000AD Prog 2300
• Judge Dredd: Judgement Days | Writer: Ken Niemand | Art: Henry Flint | Letters: Annie Parkhouse
• Rogue Trooper: Mortal Remains | Writer: Mike Carroll | Art: Gary Erskine | Colours: Yel Zamor | Letters: Simon Bowland
• Survival Geeks | Writer: Emma Beeby | Art: Neil Googe | Colours: Gary Caldwell | Letters: Jim Campbell
• The Meat Arena | Writer: Karl Stock | Art: Kieran McKeown | Colours: Matt Soffe | Letters: Simon Bowland
• Sinister Dexter: Zed Zone | Writer: Dan Abnett | Art: Russell Mark Olson | Letters: Annie Parkhouse
• Ampney Crucis Investigates…: Setting Sons | Writer: Ian Edginton | Art: D’Israeli | Letters: Jim Campbell
• Robo-Hunter: Z-Inf | Writer: Arthur Wyatt | Art: Toby Willsmer | Letters: Simon Bowland
• Strontium Dog: In the (Dead) Doghouse | Writer: Rob Williams | Art: Staz Johnson | Colours: Chris Blythe | Letters: Jim Campbell
Judge Dredd Megazine 448
• Judge Dredd: The Darkest Judge | Writer: Ken Niemand | Art: Leigh Gallagher | Colours: Chris Blythe | Letters: Annie Parkhouse
• Shimura: Hope Lies Buried | Writer: Karl Stock | Art: Kei Zama | Colours: Gary Caldwell | Letters: Jim Campbell
• Anderson, Psi-Div: Allied Forces | Writer: Honor Vincent | Art: Boo Cook | Letters: Simon Bowland
• Missionary Man: The Lonesome Undeath of the Widow McCall | Writer: Gordon Rennie | Art: Dan Cornwell | Colours: Dylan Teague | Letters: Jim Campbell
• Cadet Giant: ‘I am…’ | Writer: James Peaty | Art: Nicolo Assirelli | Colours: Peter Doherty | Letters: Simon Bowland
• Devlin Waugh: How I Lost the Waugh | Writer: Liam Johnson | Art: Conor Boyle | Colours: Barbara Nosenzo | Letters: Jim Campbell
• Armitage: An Underlying Fear | Writer: Mike Carroll | Art: Steve Yeowell | Colours: John Charles | Letters: Simon Bowland
Coming in 2023…
Essential Judge Dredd: Judgement Day
by Garth Ennis, Carlos Ezquerra, et al
Out: 11th April 2023 | Date via AmazonUK and other online bookshops
The essential Judge Dredd graphic novel series – this is the ultimate introduction to the Lawman of the Future!
It is Judgement Day! Sabbat the Necromagus has resurrected every corpse in the whole world to serve as his zombie horde. All over the globe the Judges are facing unimaginable odds, but then the unthinkable happens and time traveling Strontium Dog, Johnny Alpha, arrives to lend Dredd a hand. It is the team-up of the century as Dredd and Alpha destroy out the walking dead!