The latest issue of 2000AD, the Galaxy ’s Greatest Comic, drops into your reality, er, newsagents, today, with a cover from Simon Fraser, and the latest “Art Stars” winning entry, too.
Alongside the latest instalments of Durham Red, Proteus Vex, Sláine and the penultimate chapter of Hershey: The Brutal, this Prog features another complete case for Judge Dredd, this time from Rob Williams and Simon Coleby.
You’ll also find within Toby Willsmer’s winning entry in the Robo-Hunter Art Stars competition, 2000AD’s regular creator challenge.
Toby – online at www.willsmer.com where you can read some of his comics for free – is a professional digital illustrator based in Wellington, New Zealand, whose work is 2D, digitally painted and well suited to comics, concept art, book covers, album artwork, portraits, fantasy and sci-fi genres to name a few.
Star Scans have been a staple of weekly since its earliest days: single-image pin-ups of the greatest characters in the galaxy, from Judge Dredd and Strontium Dog to Dan Dare and Rogue Trooper, drawn by some of the best artists in comics from Brian Bolland and Dave Gibbons to Jock and Liam Sharp.
Every few months, Tharg gives artistic Earthlets the chance to submit Star Scan pin-ups based on 2000AD characters – and the winner, chosen by the editorial team, is published in a future edition of the Galaxy’s Greatest Comic – and paid for their art, too. The current competition – details here – runs until 26th April 2021 and has an A.B.C. Warriors theme.
In other Rebellion Publishing-related news, alongside plenty more collections both physical and digital from 2000AD and the Treasury of British Comics, the countdown continues toward the first of 2021’s Regened issues of 2000AD.
Tharg’s nephew Joko-Jargo takes control of the SF adventure comic, collating a batch of all-ages stories in bumper 48-page specials.
Steel your circuits for Prog 2220, the first of four Regened issues this year…
In 2000AD Prog 2218…
Judge Dredd: Health & Happiness by Rob Williams (Writer) Simon Coleby (Artist) Len O’Grady (Colourist l) Annie Parkhouse (Letterer)
Mega-City One, 2143 AD. Home to over 160 million citizens, this urban hell is situated along the east coast of post-apocalyptic North America, with the irradiated wasteland known as the Cursed Earth to the west. Unemployment is rife, boredom universal and crime is rampant. Tensions rest on a knife-edge and only the zero-tolerance Judges can stop total anarchy. Toughest of them all is JUDGE DREDD – he is the Law!
Durham Red: Served Cold by Alec Worley (Writer) Ben Willsher (Artist) Jim Campbell (Letterer)
Late 22nd century. Of all the mutants that have operated as Search/Destroy agents, perhaps the most feared is vampire DURHAM RED , who requires blood to survive.
Mistrusted by both the criminals she hunts and her fellow Strontium Dogs, Red has a formidable reputation that precedes her. Now, she ’s trapped in the Hawks-Carpenter Holding Station and Stillwater ’s extraction team are closing in on her…
Proteus Vex: The Shadow Chancellor by Mike Carroll (Writer) Jake Lynch (Artist) Jim Boswell (Colourist) Simon Bowland (Letterer)
Another galaxy, the far future. The centuries-long war between the Alliance and the Obdurate people is over, a conflict brought to an end with the deaths of billions when the Alliance teleported a dying white dwarf star into the Obdurate system. Imperium agent PROTEUS VEX was charged with finding Chancellor Rho 7 Baryon,and when the flesh-pilot that controls Vex entered Baryon ’s body he absorbed some of his memories…
Sláine: Dragontamer by Pat Mills (Writer) Leonardo Manco (Artist) Annie Parkhouse (Letterer)
Albion. Celtic warrior SLÁINE united the tribes of the Earth Goddess Danu and became the first High King of Ireland, but is now a wanderer, seeking adventure where the Goddess directs him.
Following Sláine ’s slaughter of Trojans at Beal An Atha in an ongoing battle for Albion’s freedom, Emperor Brutus sent Dragon Squadrons to dispose of him at Inniscrone, but the barbarian defeated them. Now a Drune Lord aids Brutus…
Hershey: The Brutal by Rob Williams (Writer) Simon Fraser (Artist) Simon Bowland (Letterer)
Judge Barbara Hershey was one of Justice Department’s most respected and capable young officers before she became Chief Judge. Leading the city through numerous challenges, she only occasionally clashed with Dredd – until the ‘Small House’ affair and
the revelation of Judge Smiley’s clandestine operations on her watch.
Now, seriously ill from a microbial virus, she ’s faked her death to deal with Smiley ’s legacy…
Out Next Week from Rebellion
Night of the Devil: War Picture Library, Volume 3
Creators: Tom Tully, Hugo Pratt
Ou: 16th February 2021
In Night of the Devil, take a hallucinatory trip through the oppressive heat of the Burmese jungle along with British soldiers engaged in desperate skirmishes with the enemy.
In Bayonet Jungle, Private Jack Green’s presence is seen as an omen of bad luck but he struggles to prove himself to the experienced soldiers of Third Platoon as they fight against the Japanese army that surrounds them.
Night of the Devil by comics legend Hugo Pratt is the fourth in a major series of new collections – joining the War Picture Library’s mission to bring all of the long-lost UK of war comics master artists back into print. Here, two exciting and explosive war stories lushly illustrated by Hugo Pratt, comics legend and creator of iconic character, Corto Maltese.
March 2021 Releases
• Major Eazy: The Italian Campaign – 2 March
• The Mean Arena Volume 1 – All To Slay For (digital) – 3 March
• Judge Dredd: End of Days – 16 March
April 2021 Releases
• Flesh: Midnight Cowboys (Digital Only) – 7th April 2021
• The Spider’s Syndicate of Crime – 15 April
• The Vigilant TPB – 15 April
• Thistlebone – 29 April 2021
May 2021 Releases
• Time Flies (Digital Only) – 5th May 2021
• Devlin Waugh: Blood Debt – 13 May 2021
• Fill Tilt Boogie – 13 May
• Adam Eterno – 27 May
June 2021 Releases
• Slaughter Bowl (Digital Only) – 2 June
• Tammy & Jinty Remixed – 10 June
• Judge Dredd: Guatemala – 22 June
• Battler Britton – War Picture Library by Hugo Pratt – 24 June
July 2021 Releases
• 2000AD Regened Vol. 2 – 06 July
• The Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire Volume III – 20 July
• Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files Vol. 37 – 22 July
August 2021 Releases
• Ken Reid’s Football Funnies: The First Half – 5 August
• Lawless Volume 3: Ashes to Ashes – 5 August
• Hershey: Disease – 17 August
• The Stainless Steel Rat – 19 August
• Essential Judge Dredd: Origins – 31 August
September 2021 Releases
• Sláine: Dragontamer – 2 September
• Dark Judges: The Fall of Deadworld Vol. 3 – 14 September
• The Thirteenth Floor Volume 3 – 16 September
October 2021 Releases
• Black Max Volume 2 – 14 October
• Fiends of the Eastern Front – 14 October
• Megatropolis – 14 October
November 2021 Releases
• Judge Dredd: Dreadnoughts – 9 November
• Misty Presents: The Jaume Rumeu Collection – 11 November
• Brink Volume 4 – 23 November
• The Treasury of British Comics Presents: The Tom Paterson Collection – 25 November
December 2021 Releases
• Hellman of Hammer Force – 9 December
• Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files Vol. 38 – 9 December
• Scarlet Traces Vol. 3 – 9 December