Created by Elizabeth Querstret
The Story: This is a slice of life, 24 hours in fact, for creator, artist and urban adventurer Elizabeth Querstret. It describes, moment to moment, what she did in a day of creating the Hourly Comic Day project on the 1st of February 2015.
In it we get:
- Drawing Comics
- Annoying and Painful Back Problems
- Scanner Rage
- The Discovery of Hidden Creme Eggs
- Awkward Yoga
- Coffee Confusion
- Photographs with Friendly Strangers
- Cruel Squirrel mercy killing
- Quite a lot of letter ‘Z’s
and… a whispering badger!
The Review: This is the sort of comic that is going to cheer you up. Elizabeth has a singular and funny sense of humour, documenting her accident and incident-filled everyday life in a way that should bring joy, surprise and a smile. I would liken it to something along the lines of a UK-based version of James Kochalka’s American Elf (but with less punk). The creator finds herself pulled along by the hubub of life into familiar and unusual circumstances that she depicts with a smirk and a wink.
I always look forward to seeing anything by Elizabeth whether it be a new comic, a web comic episode (posted weekly over at her web site or just her misadventures on Twitter.
If you are having a long week and need to crack a smirk, I guarantee that these strips will not let you down. Pop over to www.querstret.com for some examples. You can find the creator on Twitter @querstret or on Facebook www.facebook.com/elizabethquerstretcomics
Just be careful of getting stuck in any large tortoise shells… (Please visit Elizabeth’s Twitter feed for full details).
• Elizabeth is doing a talk at ‘Laydeez do Comics’ tonight (20th April 2015) at 6.00pm in the hall at Foyles Bookshop in the Charing Cross Road, London. This is a free event and should be great fun.
• Along with the release of A Day With Querstret, Elizabeth is also releasing two other books (Love Thy Neighbour and How Did That Happen?) at The Alternative Press Fair at 47/49 Tanner Street, London, SE1 3PL on Saturday the 9th May. More info: www.alternativepress.org.uk
• Copies of A Day With Querstret will also be available at ‘DIY Cultures’ on the 24th May at 33-37 Bethnal Green Road, London, E1 6LA. More info: www.diycultures.tumblr.com
Many thanks for reading.