B7 Media is to premiere Triffids! – an immersive audio production inspired by John Wyndham’s The Day of the Triffids.
Platform 4’s Triffids! takes the audience deep into John Wyndham’s classic cold war novel, The Day of the Triffids, featuring a live soundtrack with instruments including Moog, Double Bass, Theremin, Hammered Dulcimer and… a Cactus! This exciting audio drama will be exclusively released by audio drama publisher, B7 Media, to coincide with the UK tour as a stage show in March 2022.
The live tour will visit Norwich, Birmingham, Oxford, Chichester, London, Winchester, Coventry, Salisbury, Aldershot, Exeter, Colchester, New Milton, Cambridge and Poole – dates so far below.
Exciting indie arts company Platform 4, the creators of Triffids!, creates playful and unexpected worlds in which performers and participants can explore their creativity and the things that matter to them. The work is highly visual and musical; it connects people and puts human relationships at the heart of the event.
In adapting the original Wyndham novel, Platform 4 has brought the novel into the 21st century, cutting out many of the outdated comments the book indulged in, interweaving beautiful elegiac violin solos and melancholic wistful melodies inspired by a lost world to wacky, psychedelic 1990s acid house.
The incredible team behind Triffids! have worked with The National Theatre, Bellowhead, Southbank Centre, Kneehigh, BBC and The Bone Ensemble; together they create a very special magic, as seen in their previous collaboration, the acclaimed Invisible Music.
Platform 4’s Artistic Director, Catherine Church, says of the distribution deal with B7 Media; “We are delighted to be collaborating with B7 Media for the first time on distributing Triffids! Inspired by the classic cold war novel The Day of the Triffids, none of us knew how weirdly prescient this piece would be. The novel essentially asks the question – what would you do if a deadly germ invaded the world? Would you stay in your immediate community? How would you feel about the many things we take for granted? How would it change your priorities in life?
” All of these questions are covered in the novel – finally, finally we get to launch this incredibly exciting project in podcast form! Recording it has been quite a challenge with the amount of sci fi instruments in the piece – from a MOOG to a Theramin to a Dulcimer, to a Cactus!”
B7 Media is well known for creating award-winning content across film (Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont; Exit Thread), audio (Greenborne; The Martian Chronicles; The Space Race; The Effect), comics (Pilgrim) and more, working with much-loved IP (Blake’s 7; Dan Dare; I, Robot), and telling stories across different content forms.
Triffids on Tour!
Yes! TRIFFIDS! will be touring in 2022 – dates still to be added, but these are the ones so far… the links should take you directly to the event booking page
• Wednesday 2nd March 8.00pm Norwich – Norwich Arts Centre
• Friday 4th March 8.00pm Oxford – North Wall
• Saturday 5th March 8.00pm Poole – Lighthouse: Poole Centre for the Arts
• Monday 7th March 7.45pm Exeter – Exeter Phoenix
• Tuesday 8th March 7.30pm Winch – Theatre Royal Winchester
• Wednesday 9th March 1.30pm/7.30pm Winch – Theatre Royal Winchester
• Thursday 10th March 7.30pm Chichester – The Show Room, Chichester University
• Friday 11th March 8.00pm Salisbury – Salisbury Arts Centre
• Saturday 12th March 8.00.pm Cambridge – Cambridge Junction
• Wednesday 16th March 7.30pm Birmingham – MAC (Birmingham)
• Thursday 17th March 8.00pm Aldershot – West End Centre
• Friday 18 March 7.30pm New Milton – Forest Arts Centre
• Saturday 19 March 7.30pm London – Arts Depot
• Wednesday 23 March 7.30pm Colchester – Colchester Arts Centre