As if you needed any excuse for a socially-distanced walk out to your local newsagents or nearest WHSmith, there’s both a new 2000AD and Judge Dredd Megazine on sale today – and maybe you’ll be minded to pick up Rebellion’s Evil Genius game comic tie-in, released just last week, too! Here’s a quick rundown of the new editions, and an updated list of all of Rebellion’s upcoming 2021 releases, including three more Specials…
Featuring a great cover by Richard Elson, inside Prog 2227 Ken Niemand and Tom Foster crank up the intrigue in the third instalment of “Judge Dredd: A Penitent Man”, with Dredd ramping up his hunt for a Titan returnee with a conscience. There’s another eerie trip to the “Fall of Deadworld” from Kek-W and Dave Kendall, too, this time focusing on a pivotal moment in Judge Ava Eastwood’s life.
Seema’s investigation of the Thistlebone myth sees her grip on reality loosen in “Poisoned Roots”, another suitably haunting episode of the beautifully rendered strip written by T.C. Eglington with art Simon Davis. Plus, don’t miss part two of James Peaty and Mike Collins’ “Tharg’s 3rillers: Chorus & The Ring”, as Battle Sister Evangelista steps aboard the papal barge and immediately regrets it. (Mike’s design work on this three-part strip is absolutely top-notch, let’s hope we see more!).
The issue rounds out with Dan Abnett and Richard Elson’s “Feral & Foe”, with Bode, Wrath and Krodgun venturing into Golgone the Necromancer’s lair with typically disastrous results.
Let’s hope your trip to your newsagent’s is more carefully planned and executed…
The new Judge Dredd Megazine – Issue 431 – sees the fabulous “Megatropolis” by Ken Niemand, with amazing art by Dave Taylor, draw to a close, but we’re assured there will be a return to this beautifully realised alternate Mega-City at some point in the future.
Elsewhere, alongside the latest instalment of “Deliverance” from David Hine and Nick Percival, this new edition offers three new stories. Judge Dredd learns that you “Don’t Drokk With Bob”, courtesy of Ken Niemand and Ian Richardson; James Peaty
and Warren Pleece reunite for another visit to the streets of Brit-Cit in “Diamond Dogs II”, following on from the debut series that ran in Megs 409-414; and there’s a another complete Devlin Waugh tale too, “The Lord of Lies”, by Aleš Kot and Mike Dowling, setting up a major arc that starts next issue.
If you’re a fan of the heavy metal band Anthrax, then you won’t want to miss Karl Stock’s chat with the group’s guitarist Scott Ian, a major Dredd fan for decades, about US publisher Z2 Comics’ new project Among the Living, a graphic-novel adaptation of the seminal thrash album, which features Chris Weston drawing the “I am the Law” story, scripted by Ian himself. Look out for it in book shops in June here in the UK.
Current Rebellion Releases
2000AD Prog 2227
On Sale Now in the UK
Cover by Richard Elson
• Judge Dredd: The Penitent Man by Kenneth Niemand (Writer) Tom Foster (Artist) Chris Blythe (c) Annie Parkhouse (Letterer)
• Thistlebone: Poisoned Roots by TC Eglington (Writer) Simon Davies (Artist) Simon Bowland (Letterer)
• Visions of Deadworld: Leigh by Kek-W (Writer) Dave Kendall (Artist) Simon Bowland (Letterer)
• Tharg’s 3rillers: Chorus & The Ring by James Peaty (Writer) Mike Collins (Artist) Dylan Teague (c) Annie Parkhouse (Letterer)
• Feral & Foe II by Dan Abnett (Writer) Richard Elson (Artist) Jim Campbell (Letterer)
Judge Dredd Megazine 431
Cover by Dave Taylor
• Judge Dredd: Don’t Drokk With Bob by Kenneth Niemand (Writer) Ian Richardson (Artist) Jim Boswell (Colourist) Annie Parkhouse (Letterer)
• Megatropolis by Kenneth Neimand (Writer) Dave Taylor (a) Jim Campbell (Letterer)
• Devlin Waugh: The Lord of Lies by Aleš Kot (Writer) Mike Dowling (Artist) Simon Bowland (Letterer)
• Diamond Dogs II by James Peaty (Writer) Warren Pleece (Artist) Simon Bowland (Letterer)
• Deliverance by David Hine (Writer) Nick Percival (Artist) Annie Parkhouse (Letterer)
• Features: Anthrax graphic novel, The Spider
Bagged collection: 2000AD Encyclopedia
Evil Genius 2 Special
In newsagents now is the Evil Genius 2 Special, tying in with the launch of the lair-building strategy management game Evil Genius 2 – World Domination. This magazine special takes you behind-the-scenes on the new chapter in this acclaimed title, featuring interviews with the creative team behind the game, character profiles of all the new playable characters and a rundown of the new special features.
It will also includes brand new comic book stories featuring the Evil Genius characters, their put-upon henchmen, and their downtrodden minions!
Written by Kate Heartfield (The Magician’s Workshop) and Karl Stock (Future Shocks), and drawn by Elkys Nova (Tammy & Jinty) and Leigh Wortley (And Then Everybody Died), the brand new comic book stories explore the world of this critically-acclaimed game.
Recent Rebellion Releases
Flesh: Midnight Cowboys (Digital Only) – 7th April 2021
• The Spider’s Syndicate of Crime – 15th April
• The Vigilant TPB – 15th April
• Thistlebone – 29th April 2021
May 2021 Releases
• Time Flies (Digital Only) – 5th May 2021
• Devlin Waugh: Blood Debt – 13 May 2021
• Fill Tilt Boogie – 13 May
• Adam Eterno – 27 May
June 2021 Releases
• Slaughter Bowl (Digital Only) – 2 June
• Tammy & Jinty Remixed – 10th June
• Judge Dredd: Guatemala – 22nd June
• Battler Britton – War Picture Library by Hugo Pratt – 24th June
July 2021 Releases
• 2000AD Regened Volume 2 – 6th July
• Aquila Volume 2 (Digital Only) – 7th July 2021
• The Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire Volume III – 20th July
• Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files Vol. 37– 22nd July
August 2021 Releases
• Bad City Blue (Digital Only) – Release Date: 4th August 2021
• Ken Reid’s Football Funnies: The First Half – 5th August
• Lawless Volume 3: Ashes to Ashes – 5th August
• Hershey: Disease – 17th August
• The Stainless Steel Rat – 19th August
• Essential Judge Dredd: Origins – 31st August
September 2021 Releases
• Firekind (Digital Only)
• Sláine: Dragontamer – 2nd September
• Dark Judges: The Fall of Deadworld Vol. 3 – 14th September
• The Thirteenth Floor Volume 3 – 16th September
October 2021 Releases
• Black Max Volume 2 – 14th October
• Fiends of the Eastern Front – 14th October
• Megatropolis – 14th October
• Roy of the Rovers: New Digs – 28th October 2021
November 2021 Releases
• Tales from the Black Museum Volume 1 (Digital Only) – 3rd November 2021
• Judge Dredd: Dreadnoughts – 9th November
• Misty Presents: The Jaume Rumeu Collection– 11th November
• Brink Volume 4 – 23rd November
• The Treasury of British Comics Presents: The Tom Paterson Collection – 25th November
December 2021 Releases
• Durham Red – Born Bad (Digital Only) – 1st December 2021
• Hellman of Hammer Force – 9th December
• Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files Volume 38 – 9th December
• Scarlet Traces Volume 3 – 9th December
2000AD AND TREASURY OF BRITISH COMICS SPECIALS 2021
All three Specials will be available from all good newsagents and comic book stores, as well as from the 2000AD and Treasury of British Comics webshops
Black Beth and the Devils of Al-Kadesh
Publication date: 23rd June 2021
After her appearance in Rebellion’s previous Scream! & Misty Specials, the sword-swinging Black Beth is back, written by Alec Worley (Durham Red) and drawn by DaNi (Coffin Bound),
2000AD Sci-Fi Special
Publication date: 7th July 2021
This year’s 2000AD Sci-Fi Special – a staple part of 2000AD’s publishing DNA for decades – offers a fantastic collection of original Dredd-world stories, all connected to the same over-arching narrative and plotted by writers Mike Carroll (Judge Dredd) and Maura McHugh (Anderson, Psi Division).
Dive into the dystopian world of Judge Dredd as he brings law to the lawless on the mean streets of Mega-City One!
The Monster Fun Halloween Spooktacular
Publication date: 22nd September 2021
Back for Halloween 2021, join the Treasury of British Comics’ creepiest and coolest goblins, ghouls and vamps for brand new, HELL-arious comic strips.