The House of Illustration in London is offering an advanced, two-day intensive course for people who have already completed a beginners’ graphic novel course, or those working on a graphic novel, tutored by Rachael Bell – but there are very few tickets left.
If you would benefit from further mentoring and help in structuring, scripting, layout and illustration of your graphic novel then this two-day course over the first weekend of December is the course for you.
Tutor Rachael Ball will be guiding students with a personal approach designed to help you:
- Develop and enhance your story with specific techniques to enrich your plot
- Troubleshoot any issues you may have been having with your novel, whether visual or to do with the script or plot
- Experiment with media and create the most effective visual technique for the appearance of your book
- Design a stand-out book cover to catch the eye of a future publisher
- Discuss your work one-to-one and in stimulating and supportive group discussions
- Develop a future plan to help you move forward with your tutor artistically and professionally
- Gain tips for marketing your work
Rachael Ball is an acclaimed cartoonist who started out cartooning for cult comic Deadline in 1988. Her graphic novel, The Inflatable Woman (Bloomsbury), was a Guardian Best Graphic Novel 2015 and one of Paul Gravett’s Best of 2015. Her work has featured in the HOI’s Comixatrix exhibition and the Cartoon Museum’s The Inking Woman exhibition.
Her second Arts Council funded graphic novel Wolf will be published by SelfMadeHero in October 2018. She is currently working on her third graphic novel The Patsy Papers.
Rachael also co-coordinates the London branch of Laydeez Do Comics, a comic forum which promotes women in comics. She has 16 years’ teaching experience and is represented by Kirsty Maclachlan (DGA). Find out more.
• Developing your Graphic Novel with Rachael Ball Saturday 1st and Sunday 2nd December 2018, 10.00am – 4.00pm | House of Illustration, 2 Granary Square, King’s Cross London N1C 4BH – Book here
The founder of downthetubes, which he established in 1998. John works as a comics and magazine editor, writer, and on promotional work for the Lakes International Comic Art Festival. He is currently editor of Star Trek Explorer, published by Titan – his third tour of duty on the title originally titled Star Trek Magazine.
Working in British comics publishing since the 1980s, his credits include editor of titles such as Doctor Who Magazine, Babylon 5 Magazine, and more. He also edited the comics anthology STRIP Magazine and edited several audio comics for ROK Comics. He has also edited several comic collections, including volumes of “Charley’s War” and “Dan Dare”.
He’s the writer of “Pilgrim: Secrets and Lies” for B7 Comics; “Crucible”, a creator-owned project with 2000AD artist Smuzz; and “Death Duty” and “Skow Dogs” with Dave Hailwood.