(Updated) Following up on our recent post about a mystery Dan Dare page, which gave us chance to touch base with ace comics artist David Pugh, we can now report that he has begun auctioning off some of his old artwork to benefit migrant workers and refugees in India and Africa.
Bus Fare is a charity set up by David to help refugees and migrant workers visit their families, who have been separated by either political or economic necessity. It can also provide some pocket money to compensate for loss of wages, while they are travelling.
“The Tibetan people were the inspiration for setting up this trust, many of whom I count as good friends,” says David.
Included in the art work sale are pages of Dan Dare, drawn for the New Eagle; and pages from the 2000AD story Slaine: Time Killer, including the first Slaine page David ever drew.
Although the site only features five pieces of artwork, there are links to many more pages on offer, which have been posted in a number of albums on Facebook as part of David’s fan page.
The Slaine pages are selling for between £100 – £200. Many pages of full colour Dan Dare art from 1989-1994, including the Mekon’s last appearance in the comic, are available from £65-£300.
David tells us two of the Dan Dare pages from the last story have been sold already, one for £250 one at £300, along with three Slaine Time killer pages. “Bus Fare is becoming a full time job but I’m very glad I have the time to work on it.”
• If you are interested in any other pages not featured on the Web Store but which feature on Facebook, contact David direct via busfareATmail.com.
Dan Dare Art on Facebook
Eagle Comic Art
• Joe Alien (1989)
M.A.S.K. Art on Facebook
• M.A.S.K. – Colossus (1988)
• M.A.S.K. – Funnsville and Double Cross (1988)
• M.A.S.K. – Mayhem’s Mansion (1988)
• M.A.S.K. – Millionaire Mayhem (1988)
• M.A.S.K. – Project Imposter (1988)
• MA.S.K. – Kamikaze
• M.A.S.K. Maelstrom Mayhem
• Slaine Art (Facebook album)
• Teknophage Issue 2: A Show of Force (July 1996)
• Teknophage Issue 3: The Jaws Of The Trap August 1996
• Teknophage Issue 4: Death Arena! September 1996
• Teknophage Issue 5: The Dragon’s Teeth October 1996
• Teknophage Issue 6: Sacrifice! November 1996
Wildcat Comic Art
• Check out the Bus Fare site and find out more about the charity at http://busfare. webs.com
The founder of downthetubes, which he established in 1998. John works as a comics and magazine editor, writer, and on promotional work for the Lakes International Comic Art Festival. He is currently editor of Star Trek Explorer, published by Titan – his third tour of duty on the title originally titled Star Trek Magazine.
Working in British comics publishing since the 1980s, his credits include editor of titles such as Doctor Who Magazine, Babylon 5 Magazine, and more. He also edited the comics anthology STRIP Magazine and edited several audio comics for ROK Comics. He has also edited several comic collections, including volumes of “Charley’s War” and “Dan Dare”.
He’s the writer of “Pilgrim: Secrets and Lies” for B7 Comics; “Crucible”, a creator-owned project with 2000AD artist Smuzz; and “Death Duty” and “Skow Dogs” with Dave Hailwood.