MCM Comic Con is back in Manchester …and this time it’s for the whole weekend. Following last year’s record attendance, MCM Manchester Comic Con returns to Manchester Central bigger and better than ever. Running over a full weekend for the first time, the show takes place on 19-20 July, playing host to everything from hot new games to costume competitions to talented comic creators. Here’s a taste of what’s on:
- 2K GAMES will be previewing Borderlands: The Pre Sequel, the third instalment in the acclaimed Borderlands series, and Turtle Rock Studios’ sci-fi shooter Evolve.
- JAGEX GAMES STUDIO will be giving visitors a taste of much anticipated browser-based MMO Transformers Universe as well as popular fantasy MMO Runescape
- TOP COMIC CREATORS: The sold-out Comic Village will be home to a wide range of talented artists and writers over the Comic Con weekend, including John McCrea, Martin Griffiths, Lee Townsend, John-Paul Bove, Jack Lawrence and Lee Bradley.
- SPECIAL GUESTS: Red Dwarf stars Chris Barrie, Robert Llewellyn and Hattie Hayridge – aka Arnold J. Rimmer, Kryten and Holly the Ship’s Computer – will be joined by Judy Pascoe, making her first ever comic con appearance. A noted Australian novelist, Judy entered Red Dwarf lore as the mechanoid form of Camille, actually a shape-shifting green blob, in Season IV’s homage to Casablanca
- SPECIAL GUEST: James Cosmo from Game Of Thrones, Highlander, Braveheart, The Chronicles of Narnia, Trainspotting, Merlin and Troy
- SPECIAL GUEST: As well as playing Churchill in Doctor Who, Ian McNeice’s credits include HBO hit Rome, Valkyrie, A Life Less Ordinary and Ace Ventura
- SPECIAL GUEST: Kai Owen is most famous for starring as Rhys Williams in Doctor Who spin-off Torchwood. Other credits include Waterloo Road and Being Human
- SPECIAL GUEST: Primeval stars Andrew Lee Potts and Hannah Spearitt. Andrew played palaeontology student Connor Temple in both Primeval and Primeval: New World, while former S Club 7 star Hannah appeared as zookeeper Abby Maitland.
- SPECIAL GUEST: Leading voice actor Vic Mignogna has appeared in a host of anime series, including Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach, Soul Eater and Dragon Ball Z
- SPECIAL GUEST: Top anime voice artist Bryce Papenbrook plays Eren Yeager in Attack On Titan, Kirito in Sword Art Online and Rin Okumura in Blue Exorcist
- SPECIAL GUEST: D.C. Douglas is best known for his voice acting roles, appearing in games such as Resident Evil 5, Mass Effect 2 & 3, Tekken 6 and Eternal Sonata
- SPECIAL GUEST: Ross Mullan recently appeared as a White Walker in hit fantasy series Game Of Thrones. Other credits include Doctor Who and Clash Of The Titans
- RAMPAGING ROBOTS: Robots Live rumble into town, bringing metal mayhem to Manchester in the form of the 100kg stars of much-loved TV show Robot Wars
Other attractions at MCM Manchester Comic Con include a retro-gaming zone; onstage talks and panels; leading UK anime distributor Manga Entertainment; Yu-Gi-Oh! tables; the colourful costumes of the Cosplay Masquerade and, of course, more retail stands than you can shake a lightsaber at…
• Buy your MCM Manchester Comic Con tickets at: www.mcmcomiccon.com/manchester/tickets
• Website: www.mcmcomiccon.com/manchester
The founder of downthetubes, which he established in 1998. John works as a comics and magazine editor, writer, and on promotional work for the Lakes International Comic Art Festival. He is currently editor of Star Trek Explorer, published by Titan – his third tour of duty on the title originally titled Star Trek Magazine.
Working in British comics publishing since the 1980s, his credits include editor of titles such as Doctor Who Magazine, Babylon 5 Magazine, and more. He also edited the comics anthology STRIP Magazine and edited several audio comics for ROK Comics. He has also edited several comic collections, including volumes of “Charley’s War” and “Dan Dare”.
He’s the writer of “Pilgrim: Secrets and Lies” for B7 Comics; “Crucible”, a creator-owned project with 2000AD artist Smuzz; and “Death Duty” and “Skow Dogs” with Dave Hailwood.