A chance to learn how to draw your inner superhero, show off your fancy dress and receive free comic books are just some of the fun activities on offer at a drop-in event to celebrate Free Comic Book Day at the new Billingham Library on Saturday 2nd May 2015.
Between 10am and 2pm, residents are being invited to attend a drawing master class with renowned illustrator Ingi Jensson, who lives in Stockton, at the recently opened £2.7m state-of-the-art facility.
Ingi has been making comics and cartoons for Icelandic newspapers and magazines since 1999 and now runs TeesToons which offers art workshops across the North East.
His ‘Draw Yourself as a Superhero’ session plans to make a three metre by 70 centimetre drawing of the shops and Library in Billingham for the children and young people to glue their character onto – creating a superhero-themed Billingham Town Centre image which will be kept for posterity in the Library.
Prizes are up for grabs for the best dressed youngsters in superhero costumes.
Alongside this event, Stockton Libraries will have free comic books (while stocks last) to give away to children and young people who drop-in to the following libraries in Stockton Borough on the day:
- Fairfield Library – 10.30am to 11.30am – featuring a ‘Create Your Own Super Logo’ competition and learn how to make a radioactive spider! Suitable for ages five to 12 – booking is essential. Contact 01642 527962 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ingleby Barwick Library – 9am to 5pm – contact 01642 528528 or email@example.com
- Norton Library – 9.30am to 1pm – contact 01642 528019 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stockton Central Library – 9.30am to 4pm – featuring a competition to design a superhero logo to win prizes – contact 01642 526521 or email@example.com
- Thornaby Central Library – 9.30am to 4pm – contact 01642 528117 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yarm Library – 10am to 12.30pm – contact 01642 528152 or email@example.com
For more information, contact Lucy Carlton-Walker on 01642 528501 or firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn more about Stockton Libraries and their full range of events and services, visit www.stockton.gov.uk/libraries
The founder of downthetubes, which he established in 1998. John works as a comics and magazine editor, writer, and on promotional work for the Lakes International Comic Art Festival. He is currently editor of Star Trek Explorer, published by Titan – his third tour of duty on the title originally titled Star Trek Magazine.
Working in British comics publishing since the 1980s, his credits include editor of titles such as Doctor Who Magazine, Babylon 5 Magazine, and more. He also edited the comics anthology STRIP Magazine and edited several audio comics for ROK Comics. He has also edited several comic collections, including volumes of “Charley’s War” and “Dan Dare”.
He’s the writer of “Pilgrim: Secrets and Lies” for B7 Comics; “Crucible”, a creator-owned project with 2000AD artist Smuzz; and “Death Duty” and “Skow Dogs” with Dave Hailwood.