Want to discover comics? Lapsed reader wanting to jump back in? Loving Gotham, Flash, Arrow, Agents Of SHIELD and The Avengers and want to know more? Then visit Forbidden Planet on Saturday 2rd May – for Free Comic Book Day.
Free Comic Book Day is perfect for fans and newcomers alike and get a taste of the massisive range of comics available. It’s your chance to join the comics revolution – discover comics for the first time or return to the fold to see what you’ve been missing.
The Forbidden Planet chain – one of many British comics retailers running Free Comic Book Day events up and down the country – have bags of comics* to give away that will provide you with a perfect starting point. Discover characters including Transformers, Judge Dredd, SpongeBob Squarepants and Doctor Who – and look out for Secret Wars #0, the ideal jumping on point for the forthcoming re-boot of the Marvel Universe.
At their London Megastore they will have early release copies of their new and exclusive Captain America Giclee Print signed by John Romita Jr – and signings by the creative talents behind Doctor Who Comics and 2000AD.
The 2000AD event starts at 3.00pm, with 2000AD editor and writer Matt Smith joined by artists Pye Parr and Ben Willsher – and the legendary Judge Dredd artist Mike McMahon, making a rare London appearance.
The Forbidden Planet stores participating (note Forbidden Planet International, a separate chain with a similar name will alos be running events) are:
• Birmingham Megastore, 74 Bull Street, Birmingham, B4 6AD
• Bristol Megastore, Units 4&5 Clifton Heights, Bristol, BS8 1EJ
• Cambridge Store, 28 – 30 Burleigh Street, Cambridge, CB1 1DG
• Coventry Store, 31 Cross Cheaping, Coventry, CV1 1HF
• Croydon Store, 43 Church Street, Croydon, CR0 1RH
• Liverpool Store, 92 Bold Street, Liverpool, L1 4HY
• London Megastore, 179 Shaftesbury Avenue, London, WC2H 8JR
• Newcastle Store, 59 Grainger Street, Newcastle, NE1 5JE
• Southampton Megastore, 24 Hanover Buildings, Southampton, SO14 1JU
*One bag per customer, while stocks last. Only comics marked as Free Comic Book Day titles are free of charge.
Londoners can also pick up a free comic at the following libraries: Hammersmith and Fulham: Shepherds Bush, Fulham, Hammersmith | Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea: Kensington Central, Brompton, North Kensington | Westminster: Charing Cross, Church Street, Maida Vale, Marylebone, Mayfair, Paddington Children’s, Pimlico, St John’s Wood, Queen’s Park, Victoria