The latest issue of Eagle Times, (Volume 23 Number Two, Summer 2010), is on sale now from the Eagle Society, with highlights that include a photo-illustrated report on the Society’s April 2010 gathering ‘to celebrate Eagle‘s 60th Anniversary in Southport and a look at the ways in which alien languages were treated in the Eagle‘s ‘Dan Dare’ saga.
Also included are features on Space Captain Jim Stalwart by downthetubes contributor Jeremy Briggs – story synopses and foreign reprints, including in Spain’s Futuro, of this ‘forgotten’ strip from 1954 drawn by Dan Dare artist Bruce Cornwell for Junior Mirror, a look at some of artist Ron Embleton’s lesser known work, a review of some of the ‘Authentic Plastic Assembly Kits’ made by Eagle/Wall Plastics Ltd in the 1950s, plus recollections of the origins and activities of the Astral Group ‘Dan Dare’ Club in the 1970s.
The cover illustration for Eagle Times shows the celebratory Birthday Cake which was cut and consumed by members of the Eagle Society at the Southport event on 14th April 2010 – the 60th Anniversary of Eagle‘s first publication.
Summer 2010 Contents
- A photo-illustrated report on the Eagle Society’s April 2010 gathering to celebrate Eagle‘s 60th Anniversary in Southport
- ‘Scale-face speaks with Thorked tongue’ – a look at the ways in which alien languages were treated in the Eagle‘s ‘Dan Dare’ saga
- ‘Jim Stalwart’ – part 2, covering story synopses and foreign reprints of this “forgotten” strip from 1954, drawn by Bruce Cornwell for Junior Mirror
- ‘Eagle‘s “No!” to Frank Humphris’ – describing how in 1962 the editor of Eagle rejected the idea from Britain’s leading western artist for a ‘True Stories of the West’ series
- ‘I was There’ – some third-party recollections of when, in 1980, space artist David Hardy met ‘Dan Dare’ creator Frank Hampson
- ‘More complaints from the Dustman?’ A look at some of artist Ron Embleton’s lesser known work
- ‘Rivals of Jeff Arnold’ – the latest in this series examines the depiction in films and British comic strip of the masked avenger – ‘The Lone Ranger’
- ‘What the papers say’ – topical press coverage of Eagle‘s 60th Anniversary
- ‘Plastic Ship Kits by Eaglewall’ – a review of some of the “Authentic Plastic Assembly Kits” made by Eagle/Wall Plastics Ltd in the 1950s
- ‘Haynes Apollo 11 Owners’ Workshop Manual‘ – a review of the recently published book
- ‘The Case of the Begging Girl’ – a ‘PC49′ story adapted from Alan Stranks’ radio play
- ‘This is where we came in’ – recollections of the origins and activities of the Astral Group ‘Dan Dare’ Club in the 1970s
- ‘Eagle Annuals’ – a fond look back and review of the first ten Eagle Annuals, published between 1951 to 1960
- ‘Frank Bellamy’s The Story World War 1′ – a review of the book which collects the series written by Michael Butterworth that was originally published in Look and Learn
• Membership of The Eagle Society is via Annual Subscription to Eagle Times magazine, which is published four times annually. The Subscription rate for 2010 is UK, £23; Overseas £34 (in £s Sterling, please). Please apply by snail mail to: Keith Howard, 25A Station Road, Harrow, Middlesex HA1 2UA United Kingdom. Enquiries: email@example.com
• Full contents list on the Eagle Times blog
Categories: downthetubes Comics News, downthetubes News, Magazines