If you or someone you know might be interested in spending a couple of days a week for six months working at London’s fine Cartoon Museum, read on.
You don’t need to be a comics ‘expert’ – but you do need a good general awareness of what’s what (someone applied last year that had “never read a comic”).
Here are the details…
Comics Creators Project Volunteer: Cartoon Museum
Employment Status: Volunteer , 2 days per week, 10.00am – 5.30p for 6 months
Salary: Unpaid [travel expenses up to £8 per day reimbursed]
Purpose of Job: To assist with the delivery of the Comics Creators Project, an HLF funded project for its Collecting Cultures programme.
As Project Volunteer you will be required to provide support to the Project Curator in the delivery and management of the Comics Creators project, by researching potential acquisitions to the Comics and Sequential Art Collection and assisting with the development and coordination of the activities which include events with project partners.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist with the research into possible acquisitions to the Comics and Sequential Art collection
• Assist with exhibition/display research
• Assist with developing online resources to encourage the sharing of knowledge between partners and to widen the Museum’s audience
• Assist with the development and coordination of activities at the museum
• An interest in comics and sequential art
• An interest in gaining curatorial experience
• Good attention to detail
• Confident verbal and written communicator
• Excellent organizational skills
• Proficiency in the use of Windows-based packages, particularly Word, Outlook and Excel
• Good level of numeracy
• Ability to work successfully as part of a team and on own initiative
The Museum is particularly looking for someone with experience of web content management, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc
To apply, please send a CV and covering letter to the Project Curator: email@example.com
• The deadline for the applications is: Sunday 7 May 2017
The founder of downthetubes, which he established in 1998. John works as a comics and magazine editor, writer, and on promotional work for the Lakes International Comic Art Festival. He is currently editor of Star Trek Explorer, published by Titan – his third tour of duty on the title originally titled Star Trek Magazine.
Working in British comics publishing since the 1980s, his credits include editor of titles such as Doctor Who Magazine, Babylon 5 Magazine, and more. He also edited the comics anthology STRIP Magazine and edited several audio comics for ROK Comics. He has also edited several comic collections, including volumes of “Charley’s War” and “Dan Dare”.
He’s the writer of “Pilgrim: Secrets and Lies” for B7 Comics; “Crucible”, a creator-owned project with 2000AD artist Smuzz; and “Death Duty” and “Skow Dogs” with Dave Hailwood.