Diamond has its top selling US comic lists, and so do the big London comic shops and many others. So here at downthetubes, we thought it high time we had our own Top Ten Comics chart documenting top sellers in British comic shops.
But given our support of both the small press as well as the mainstream, we asked our own small but perfectly formed local comic shop, First Age Comics, if they would supply it.
They agreed, so here’s our very first chart, complete with some notes from co-owner of the store, Mark Braithwaite. Take it away, sir!
This Week’s Top Ten Selling Titles At First Age Comics – 8th May 2015
1) Secret Wars #1 (Marvel Comics)
2) Convergence #5 (DC Comics)
3) Amazing Spider-Man #18 (Marvel Comics)
4) Convergence: Justice League #2/Convergence Harley Quinn #2 (DC Comics)
5) Convergence: Batgirl #2/Convergence: Nightwing Oracle #2 (DC Comics)
6) Spider-Gwen #4 (Marvel Comics)
7) Rocket Raccoon #11 (Marvel Comics)
8) Convergence: Batman & Robin #2/Convergence: Speed Force #2 (DC Comics)/Return Of The Living Deadpool #4 (Marvel Comics)
9) Arcadia 1# (Boom Studios)
10) Convergence: Question #2/Convergence: Superman #2 (DC Comics)
Secret Wars #1 stormed to the top of the best sellers chart, performing impressively and just edging out the latest Convergence and Amazing Spider-Man issues.
Whilst we try not to be too DC/Marvel heavy and heartily encourage smaller publishers titles, the Convergence event has managed to dominate the top 10, appealing to nostalgic readers and attracting the curious who are new to these previous incarnations of the DC Universe.
It’s not uncommon to find the Spider titles doing well and Rocket Raccoon is still benefiting from the positive reaction to the Guardians Of The Galaxy film.
I’m happy to say that this weeks best selling non-DC/Marvel book is Arcadia 1, the debut of issue from Alex Paknadel – a long-time customer of First Age Comics and an all-round genuinely good guy.
Alex has been dedicated to breaking into the comic industry for a while now and everyone here is absolutely thrilled that he has managed to do so.
Sales on Arcadia have seen it enter into our top ten and take the record for our best performing Boom Studios title by quite a way. It’s good to see one of our own make it into writing and everyone at First Age Comics wish him the very best and look forward to seeing more of his work in the future.
• Read Matt Badham’s interview with Alex Paknadel here
• First Age Comics is located at 3 Moor Lane, Lancaster – one of the most historic streets in the city. If you’re ever in the area and would like to visit, their opening hours are Tuesday-Friday 10.00am – 4.30pm, Saturday 10.00am – 5.30pm. The store also has an online presence on eBay, Facebook and Twitter @FirstAgeComics
Categories: downthetubes Comics News, US Comics