The 2000AD Art of Kevin O’Neill: Apex Edition, out next June, is available to pre-order now, the next in Rebellion’s “Apex Edition” line of huge over-sized replica art books that reproduce original pages and covers at the size they were drawn.
Even after what was in their stunning Brian Bolland and Mick McMahon Apex Editions, Kev’s is going to be something special – and the slipcase edition includes a tip-in with brand new art that he drew earlier this year.
This is going to be spectacular book, an incredible insight into the art of one of comics’ most unique talents, and, Rebellion believe, will properly showcase Kev’s immense talent.
O’Neill, who sadly died in November, was an artist without peer. His work on strips in 2000AD such as “Nemesis the Warlock“, “Metalzoic“, “Judge Dredd“, “Ro-Busters“ and more sealed his reputation even before his wildly popular and influential work on Marshal Law with Pat Mills and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen with Alan Moore.
Due for release on 28th June 2023, the Apex Edition will be available in standard and special slipcase editions. The standard edition is available to pre-order now from the 2000AD webshop and will also be available for comic book stores to order through Diamond Distribution’s Previews magazine next year.
The slipcase edition is only available from the 2000AD webshop, and will include an individually numbered extra bound page, featuring a page of brand new art created by O’Neill exclusively for this edition.
The contents of this 160-page collection were compiled by O’Neill from his own archive, working closely with Rebellion’s editorial and reprographics teams to curate this unmissable testament to his remarkable career. His innovative, iconoclastic, idiosyncratic, and inventive work for 2000AD will be showcased in this over-sized, deluxe, over-sized facsimile edition, reproducing his stunning pages at their actual size.
Art includes covers, stunning double-page spreads and more, from just some of his famous work on “Nemesis the Warlock”, to his final sequential work on “Bonjo From Beyond The Stars”, the strip appearing in 2000AD soon, giving fans the chance to see these pages in all their glory.
From his concept sketches for 2000AD’s alien editor ‘Tharg the Mighty’ to complete episodes from robot rescue squad series “Ro-Busters”, future lawman Judge Dredd, and alien freedom fighter Nemesis the Warlock, O’Neill’s unmistakeable style was influenced by everything from his childhood in the East End of London to the films of special effects pioneer Ray Harryhausen, from MAD magazine and from the work of British cartoonist Ken Reid.
“There was and is no-one who draws like Kev O’Neill,” notes editor Oliver Pickles, “and this new Apex Edition is ample proof of what an amazing talent he was – whether it was his character design or the incredible energy he brought to every page.
“It is a shame that he never got to see the finished book that he’d worked so hard on over the past year, right up until the end of October in fact, but I think it is fitting that it stands as a true testament to such a unique talent and such a warm, generous man.”
2000AD webshop pre-orders for the slipcase and standard editions will close at 12noon GMT on 28t March 2023. Orders for the standard edition placed through the 2000 AD webshop before 3rd January will receive a 10% discount
INCLUDED IN THIS APEX EDITION…
- Tharg the Mighty head shot concepts
- 2000AD Sci-fi Special 1977 cover
- Judge Dredd: Judges Graveyard pages 1-6
- Tharg’s Future Shocks: Hunted pages 1-3
- Mach Zero Star Scan
- 2000AD Annual 1979 cover
- 2000AD covers – Progs 40, 71, 84, 88, 97 (unused due to strike action), 103, 112, 167 (sketch & cover) 398, 483, 485, 489, 492, 500
- Ro-Busters cover – Starlord issues 5 & 16 Cover
- Ro-Busters Star Scan – Starlord issue 19
- Ro-Busters – 2000AD Prog 88, pages 1-4, 6
- Ro-Busters – 2000AD Prog 90, pages 1-6
- Ro-Busters – 2000AD Prog 103, pages 1-6
- Ro-Busters – 2000AD Prog 104, pages 1-6
- Ro-Busters – Ro-jaws, 2000AD Prog 106 Star Scan
- Ro-Busters – 2000AD Prog 111, pages 1-6
- Ro-Busters – 2000AD Prog 112, pages 1-6
- ABC Warriors – 2000AD Prog 119, pages 3-7
- ABC Warriors – 2000AD Prog 123, pages 1-6
- ABC Warriors – Titan Book One frontispiece
- ABC Warriors – Prologue pages 1-3
- ABC Warriors – Epilogue pages 1-3
- Shok! – Judge Dredd Annual 1981, pages 1-7
- Judge Dredd: The Law According To Dredd – 2000AD Prog 474, pages 3-7
- Judge Dredd: The Law According To Dredd – 2000AD Page 475, pages 1-2, 4-7
- Judge Dredd – 2000AD Prog 521, page 1
- Nemesis: Terror Tube – 2000AD Prog 167, pages 1-6
- Torquemada The God – 2000AD Prog 520, pages 1-6
- Torquemada’s Second Honeymoon – 2000AD Annual 1988, pages 1-6
- Tomb Of Torquemada Poster Prog, cover
- Tomb Of Torquemada Poster Prog, pages 1-6
- Tomb Of Torquemada Poster Prog, poster
- Nemesis the Warlock: The Final Conflict – 2000AD Prog 2000, pages 1-6
- Bonjo From Beyond The Stars – 2000AD Prog 2312
2000AD webshop pre-orders for the slipcase and standard editions will close at 12noon GMT on 28th March 2023. Orders for the standard edition placed through the 2000 AD webshop before 3rd January will receive a 10% discount
JUDGE DREDD BY MICK McMAHON APEX EDITION
From Mick McMahon’s earliest Judge Dredd stories to his iconic work on serials such as ‘The Cursed Earth’ and ‘The Judge Child’, this Apex Edition showcases McMahon’s constantly evolving style and his transformation into a truly unique comic book artist. He is one of the greatest Dredd illustrators of all time.
Featuring high-resolution scans of McMahon’s original artwork, this oversized facsimile edition reproduces his art boards at their actual size. Whole chapters of his work on the ‘Robot Wars’ and ‘The Judge Child’ sagas are displayed here alongside select pages from ‘The Cursed Earth’, ‘The Day the Law Died’, ‘Monkey Business at the Charles Darwin Block’, ‘The Fink’, and ‘Block Mania’. This book concludes with a section devoted to his colour Dredd work and includes the complete art for ‘Pinboing® Wizard’ and the legendary ‘The Vampire Effect’.
Categories: 2000AD, Art and Illustration, Books, British Comics, British Comics - Books, British Comics - Collections, Comic Art, Comics, Creating Comics, downthetubes Comics News, downthetubes News, Other Worlds