London-based auction and retail company Ancient Mariner Auctions has launched an online auction of a wide range of British and American comic, SF and fantasy roleplaying related fanzines and ephemera, including an item featuring the earliest work of author Alan Moore, and a copy of zine signed by Kirk Alyn, the first actor to play Superman.
The auction closes at end of this month, and the auction is being run through The-Saleroom.
A huge range of items, including fanzines, early British comic convention ephemera and programmes, American comic zines, some rare American comics, roleplaying game materials and more is included in the auction, including issues of well-known fanzines such as Fantasy Advertiser and Fantasy Trader, and rarer items, such as Utopia/ Valhalla #1, published in the U.K. in 1970, described as a “very rare double fanzine” that features the first published work of author Alan Moore, an article on H.P. Lovecraft.
According to the lot description, only one issue of this zine was ever released and a total of thirty were distributed. As you can imagine, the estimated final sale price is high, at between £500 and £700. This is much less than the eye-watering price set by an eBay seller back in 2017 of £2700, which did not meet its reserve.
Here are just a few of the other rare items on offer. Also on offer is a copy of KA-POW #2, a title that’s possibly Britain’s first comics fanzine, which we’ve previously featured here on downthetubes.
The auction close 31st May 2023 and you can view the entire catalogue here at The-Saleroom.
If you want to check out online read-only digital editions of some of the British fanzines featured in this incredible auction, head to FANSCENE, curated by David Hathaway-Price, where many of them can be found, uploaded with the permission of the original editors/ publishers.
• This auction close 31st May 2023 and you can view the entire catalogue here at The-Saleroom. You need to register in advance to bid
• Ancient Mariner Auctions Ltd., established in 2020, is online at ancientmariner.auction
• If you want to check out online read-only digital editions of some of the British fanzines featured in this auction, head to FANSCENE, curated by David Hathaway-Price, where many of them can be found, uploaded with the permission of the original editors/ publishers
• Richard Sheaf has a feature on this incarnation of Warrior on his Boys Adventure Comics blog
ALSO ON DOWNTHETUBES
• Read our article on the attempted 2017 sale of an issue of Utopia
• Fanzine Flashback – KA-POW, Britain’s first comics zine?
With thanks to Rajeesh Shah
Categories: Auctions, British Comics, Comics, downthetubes Comics News, downthetubes News, Events, Other Worlds