|Hulk by Tim Sale|
The Travelling Man comic shops and Thought Bubble festival have just announced their line up of international comic superstars signing with at the store next week, as follows:
Tim Sale, Richard Starkings and Gail Simone
Travelling Man Newcastle – Wednesday 16th November 5.00pm
• Tim Sale is an Eisner Award-winning comic book artist, perhaps best known for his comic work with collaborator Jeph Loeb. The duo produced popular work such as Batman: The Long Halloween, and Batman Dark Victory for DC, and comics starring characters such as Spider-Man, Daredevil, and Hulk for Marvel.
Tim’s artwork has also appeared on the television programme Heroes, primarily in the form of the fictional comic book 9th Wonders.
• Web: www.timsale1.com
• An Eisner Award-winning comic creator and founder of the Comicraft design and lettering studio, Richard Starkings is the creator of Hip Flask, The Elephantmen and his semi-autobiographical comic strip, Hedge Backwards. Born and raised in England, Starkings worked for five years at Marvel UK’s London office as an editor, designer and occasional writer on Zoids, The Real Ghostbusters, Transformers and the Doctor Who comic strip.
Today he is perhaps best known for his work with the award-winning (and revolutionary) Comicraft, which he founded in 1992 with John ‘JG’ Roshell. Starkings & Roshell also co-authored the best-selling books Comic Book Lettering, The Comicraft Way and Tim Sale: Black and White.
• Web: www.activeimages.com
• An American comic book writer, perhaps best known for penning DC’s Birds of Prey, Gail Simone‘s other notable works include Secret Six, The All New Atom and Deadpool. In 2011 she became the writer for Batgirl as well as co-writer for The Fury of Firestorm.
Simone first came to fan attention with her website, Women in Refrigerators, listing many instances in which female comic book characters were the victims of violent attacks because of their gender, or whose attacks were used as plot device for a male character.
In 2009, Gail received the Friends of Lulu – Hall of Fame Award, and is a several-time nominee for the GLAAD award for portrayals of LGBT characters.
Tim Sale, Richard Starkings, Esad Ribic and Adam Hughes
Travelling Man Manchester – Thursday 17th November 5.00pm
• Esad Ribic is a Croatian artist born in 1972. Working in comics since the early 1990s, he’s spent most of his time on Marvel titles. His credits include Loki, Silver Surfer: Requiem and Sub-Mariner: Depths.
• Probably best known for the striking cover artwork he provides for the comic book industry, over the course of his 20+ plus years working as a professional artist, Adam Hughes‘s art has graced the covers of such well-known titles as Wonder Woman, Catwoman, Tomb Raider, as well as the interiors of books like Justice League of America, Legion of Superheroes, Maze Agency and Ghost, to name a few.
Adam’s ability to render characters both naturalistically and with style and humor, have made him a one-of-a-kind in the industry. His illustrations have been featured as statues and graced with awards, both Harvey and Eisner. You can see a retrospective of Adam’s DC Comics career in the recently published coffee table book, Cover Run: The DC Comics Art of Adam Hughes.
• Web: www.justsayah.com
Tim Sale, Gail Simone and Jeff Lemire
Travelling Man York – Friday 18th November 4.00pm
Jeff Lemire is a Canadian comic artist and writer whose work has been nominated for an Ignatz, a Harvey, and two Eisner Awards.
After self-publishing the Xeric Award-winning comic book Lost Dogs in 2005 via his Ashtray Press imprint, he produced the Eisner and Harvey Award-nominated Essex County for Top Shelf in 2008–2009.
In 2009 DC/Vertigo published Jeff’s The Nobody, a two-colour tale of identity, fear and paranoia in a small community.
Lemire is currently writing and drawing the acclaimed post-apocalyptic DC/Vertigo series Sweet Tooth, and, following his relaunch of the Superboy series, is now writing the ongoing series Animal Man and Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E.
• Blog: http://jefflemire.blogspot.com
• The full Thought Bubble Fesitival Programme is available at www.thoughtbubblefestival.com/events/full-programme/ and the Thought Bubble Festival Guide is available for free in all Travelling Man shops
The founder of downthetubes, which he established in 1998. John works as a comics and magazine editor, writer, and on promotional work for the Lakes International Comic Art Festival. He is currently editor of Star Trek Explorer, published by Titan – his third tour of duty on the title originally titled Star Trek Magazine.
Working in British comics publishing since the 1980s, his credits include editor of titles such as Doctor Who Magazine, Babylon 5 Magazine, and more. He also edited the comics anthology STRIP Magazine and edited several audio comics for ROK Comics. He has also edited several comic collections, including volumes of “Charley’s War” and “Dan Dare”.
He’s the writer of “Pilgrim: Secrets and Lies” for B7 Comics; “Crucible”, a creator-owned project with 2000AD artist Smuzz; and “Death Duty” and “Skow Dogs” with Dave Hailwood.
Categories: British Comics