Lee Robson and Matthew Badham alerted me to this last month but it got buried in my in-tray. Writer-To-Watch-Out-For Dan Hill has managed to recompile a huge collection of articles and links from professional comic writers about the various aspects of the creative process that originally appeared on the now defunct Warren Ellis forum, The Engine.
The articles cover pretty much everything you could ever want to know about the process of writing comics, from moulding the initial idea all the way through to pitching it, and all of them are written by pros from across the industry, including Chuck Dixon, Matt Fraction, Gail Simone, Warren Ellis, Mark Waid, Kurt Busiek and a shed load more.
You can find the page at this link: http://dan-hill.org/services, but here’s a small selection of what he’s unearthed…
- Breaking In Without Rules by Kurt Busiek
- Survival Tips For The Newbie Writer by Gail Simone
- Comic Storytelling Tips by Lee Sullivan
- What A Comics Script Is For by Warren Ellis
- Advice on Writing Comics and Breaking in by Brian K. Vaughan
- Writing Comics by Mike Baron
- On Writing For Comics by Kurt Busiek
- Script Writing by Jeph Loeb and Alan Moore
- Comics Storytelling Tips That Work by John Freeman (who?)
- How To Survive Writing A Graphic Novel by Grady Klein
- Top 10 Writing Tips For Comic Book Writers by Kris Simon (Image Shadowline)