The latest issue of Eagle Times, the non-profit magazine of the long-running Eagle Society, features an exclusive special cover by 2000AD veteran artist Alan Langford. But it’s Captain Condor, Dan Dare’s rival in Lion, who is the focus of the art, complemented inside by a feature on the character.
Alan Langford, today better known as an equestrian artist, should need no introduction to downthetubes readers – we’ve featured both his past and present work on the site, including a review of his spectacular graphic novel, The Secret of the Aesir, a combination of SF and Viking mythology.
This issue of Eagle Times, available on subscription, also includes an article on early Dan Dare miniatures, a fascinating article by Gerald Edwards; a short reminiscence about the launch of New Eagle by David Britton; and numerous “continuing features”, including a look at the Eagle strip, “The Great Explorer”, about David Livingstone, by Steve Winders.
This issue also sees the start of a new series by Steve, focusing on the “Luck of the Legion” novels.
Dedicated to preserving the memory of Eagle comic, Eagle Times has on occasion explored other popular British comics and characters, something editor Darren Evans has told us he’d like to do more of. Contributions are welcomed!
• Membership of the Eagle Society is via Annual Subscription to Eagle Times magazine, which is published four times annually. Please make cheques payable to the ‘Eagle Society’. The current subscription rate is £30, Overseas £40 (in £s Sterling, please) | Postal applications to: Eagle Society Membership Secretary Bob Corn, Wellcroft Cottage, Wellcroft, Ivinghoe, Bucks LU7 9EF | Web: eagle-times.blogspot.com| Enquiries: email@example.com
If you wish to pay by Paypal (from your Paypal account to the e-mail address above) – The Society request that you make your payment as a GIFT)
Alan Langford Links
• The Secret of the Aesir by Alan Langford is available here for £12 from Little Knoll Press – signed copies available | Buy it from AmazonUK (£14.49) – Affiliate Link | Read our review
• Comic Creator Spotlight: Alan Langford
• More about Alan at www.alanlangford.co.uk
• Copies of his book of equestrian art, Welgora, are available direct from Little Knoll Press (£14.99) | Buy it from AmazonUK (Affiliate Link)
Captain Condor copyright Rebellion Publishing Ltd., acknowledged in the magazine
Categories: British Comics, Comic Art, Comics, downthetubes Comics News, downthetubes News, Magazines