Here’s this week’s list of comics – both US and UK releases – on sale in specialist UK comic shops tomorrow, Wednesday 7th January 2015. We’ve picked out the titles published by British publishers in bold below, or titles with a British connection we’re aware of, including cover artists.
2000AD is back in action with an all-new Prog that sees the launch of a new Orlok story, and with ITV now trailing Thunderbirds Are Go, what better time for the Classic Thunderbirds collections from Egmont to hit comic shops, although they’ve been on sale a while in bookshops. Plus, Panini have their latest Doctor Who strip collection, The Blood of Azrael, out this week, collecting the final Doctor Who Magazine Eleventh Doctor stories. Both stories and art on these tales is terrific – and some of the spreads on the final Azrael story truly outstanding.
Meanwhile, over at Titan Comics, who have a Tenth Doctor title out this week featuring the Weeping Angels – the first TV Monster to appear in their range – the gorgeous-looking Kingdom of the Dead by Ian Edginton and D’Israeli is definitely on my shopping list.
Don’t forget that despite many British publishers lack of faith in full-blown cover to cover comic strip action and humour, there are still comics on sale in newsagents that still delight in bringing you such subversive delights, including The Beano and Commando (latest issue information here), with great strips featuring in titles such as Judge Dredd Megazine, Doctor Who Magazine, Doctor Who Adventures, TOXIC, VIZ and many more.
2000AD Prog 1912
Britian’s only SF adventure weekly is back with an Orlok cover from PJ Holden, and things are just hotting up in the New Year Blockbuster, “Dark Justice”!
Also starting this issue is the return of the Sov-Blok’s most deadly assassin, and sworn enemy of the hated, decadent western Mega-Cities – Orlok, Agent Of East-Meg One. Of course, these missions happened early in his career, before he was killed by death! (Execution-style, not actually by Judge Death!)
“Judge Dredd: Dark Justice” by John Wagner & Greg Staples – Someone has attempted to gain access to the spirits of the Dark Judges Fear, Fire and Mortis, while in space pioneers set off on the starship The Mayflower…
“Savage: Grinders” by Pat Mills & Patrick Goddard – In 1999, Britain was invaded by the Volgans. When lorry driver Bill Savage learned his family had been killed by a Volgan shell, he began a one-man war against the aggressors. Now, in 2010, under an alias Savage continues to lead the resistance, while waiting for the promised liberation by the Americans — notably Howard Quartz, who is field-testing his Hammerstein Mark II war-droids as a peace-keeping measure…
“The Order: Part Two” by Kek-W & John M. Burns – Germany, the thirteenth century. Young Anna Kohl always felt her father was a mystery to her, a distant figure that seemed to be part of a select group of knights. Upon his death, she was determined to learn more about the man, and set off to discover the truth behind the cadre of warriors known as The Order. Now, she has encountered one of her father’s colleagues, the robotic Ritterstahl, who warns of impending danger…
“Ulysses Sweet, Maniac For Hire: Psycho Therapist” by Guy Adams & Paul Marshall – The far future. Of all the lunatics that operate out of mercenary world Solonik-5, none have a body-count that can compare with Ulysses Sweet, Maniac For Hire. A card-carrying psychopath who will wipe out entire planets at your request, his rep is such that he’s under strict curfew and has had a psyche chip implanted in his head to limit his behaviour. Unfortunately, he burnt the last chip out, and now wants it back…
NEW THRILL! “Orlok, Agent Of East-Meg One: Eurozoned” by Arthur Wyatt & Jake Lynch – East-Meg One, 2100 AD. Four years before he will set in motion the events of Block Mania, and become a notorious enemy of Mega-City One’s Justice Department, Orlok is a ruthless agent and assassin of the East-Meg Diktatorat. Skilled in stealth, sabotage and subterfuge, he’s a lethal weapon sent on the most dangerous missions – but can he be truly trusted? Or is he working to his own agenda…?
The Gerry Anderson Comic Collection
Previously released in bookshops. A collection of comic art from many Anderson shows, including the original vintage artwork! Discover the iconic comic strips that captured the thrill and excitement of Gerry Anderson’s cult TV shows. With original comic artwork from Thunderbirds, Stingray, Captain Scarlet, Joe 90, Zero X, Fireball XL5, Lady Penelope, The Angels and Marina, this exciting collection is perfect for Gerry Anderson fans everywhere.
Thunderbirds Comic Trade Paperback Volume 1 Earthquake Maker
Collects three fantastic original 1960s comic strips from TV Century 21 – The Earthquake Maker, Visitor from Space, and The Antarctic Menace. (Note that all story titles were not used in the original comic)
• Artwork from “The Earthquake Maker” is up for auction. Check out the pages
Thunderbirds Comic Trade Paperback Volume 2 Brains Is Dead
Collects Brains is Dead, The Olympic Plot, The Space Cannon, and Devil’s Crag.
Thunderbirds Comic Trade Paperback Volume 3 Eiffel Tower Demolition
Four more stories collected – The Eiffel Tower Demolition, The Nuclear Threat, The Hawaiian Lobster Menace, and The Time Machine plus a Thunderbird Three cutaway by Graham Bleathman.
Thunderbirds Comic Trade Paperback Volume 4 Zoo Ship
Collects The Zoo Ship, Chain Reaction, and Jungle Adventure.
Thunderbirds Comic Trade Paperback Volume 5 City of Doom
Collects City of Doom, The Big Bang, and The Mini Moon.
Doctor Who: The Blood of Azrael Graphic Novel
Writer: Scott Gray Artists; Mike Collins, Martin Geraghty Cover Artist: Mike Collins
Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor #6
by Robbie Morrison and Daniel Indro
When Gabby and the Doctor arrive by accident in No Man’s Land in July, 1916, they’re met by Corporal Jamie Colqhoun – a soldier who knows from bitter experience that there are worse things than the Jerries out in the rat-strewn trenches.
Things that drift through the smoke of a thousand cannon shells, and move only when you look away. Shadows that flit over artillery-blasted field hospitals and throw their terrifying wings over the living. Statues that steal your life in an instant.
The Weeping Angels.
But in a conflict where the life of young men is cheap, and thousands die every day – are the Angels actually offering salvation?
Trapped in the midst of a flock of starving Angels, the Doctor faces his most challenging and terrifying moral dilemma yet!
• Read our Preview of this issue here
Dragons: The Ice Castle
When Astrid’s dragon, Stormfly, goes missing, the whole of Berk try to track it down! But what dangers will they ultimately discover at… the Ice Castle? Plus in a special short story, Snotlout babysits a bunch of baby Monstrous Nightmares!
Titan Comics presents the most exciting Dragons Riders of Berk adventure yet, written by Simon Furman (Transformers, Matt Hatter Chronicles) with incredible art by rising stars Iwan Nazif and Stephen Downey.
Kingdom of the Wicked Hardcover
By Ian Edginton & D’Israeli
The twenty-first century’s greatest living children’s author – Christopher Grahame – is drawn back into Castrovalva, the world of his childhood imagination, when the stress of his fame starts to weigh on him.
But Castrovalva has gone to hell in his absence – devastated by war, famine and loss. And now Christopher can’t wake up. Has he lost his mind… or his innocence?
The Rage Hard Cover Volume 2 Kill Or Cure
By Pierre Boisserie & Malo Kerfriden
It’s 2014. Two years have passed since a mysterious virus turned the world’s children into bloodthirsty monsters.
Amina, a former nurse searching for her infected son Theo, manages to arrange a mission to the quarantine center where he’s kept. But instead of her son, she finds a little girl, Irina, who seems to be immune to the virus…
Meanwhile, in the Herod’s Militia camp, Amina’s husband, Fred, is beginning to question the real motives of his organization’s leaders.
Dark Horse Comics
- Angel And Faith Season 10 #10
- Drug & Drop Trade Paperback Volume 1
- Ghost #11
- Ghost Fleet #3
- Hellboy And The BPRD #2
- Lady Killer #1
- Lone Wolf & Cub Omnibus Trade Paperback Volume 7
- Pariah Trade Paperback Volume 3
- Usagi Yojimbo Senso #6
Absolute Batman Incorporated Hardcover
Writer: Grant Morrison Artists: Yanick Paquette & Various Cover Artist: Chris Burnham
- Action Comics #38
- Aquaman And The Others #9
- Batman Eternal #40
- Deathblow Deluxe Edition Trade Paperback
- Detective Comics #38
- Earth 2 #30
- Earth 2 Worlds End #14
- Fairest #33 (Mature Readers)
- Flash Season Zero #4
Green Arrow #38
Writer: Andrew Kreisberg, Ben Sokolowski Artist: Daniel Sampere, Jonathan Glapion Cover Artist: Bryan Hitch
- Green Lantern #38
Hinterkind #14 (Mature Readers)
Writer: Ian Edginton Artist: Francesco Trifogli Cover Artist: Marguerite Sauvage
- Injustice Gods Among Us Trade Paperback Volume 2
- Justice League 3000 #13
- Legends Dark Knight 100 Page Super Spectacular #5
- Lobo #4
Names #5 (Mature Readers)
Writer: Peter Milligan Artist: Leandro Fernandez Cover Artist: Celia Calle
- New 52 Futures End #36 (Weekly)
- Scooby Doo Team Up #8
- Showcase Presents The Unknown Soldier Trade Paperback Volume 2
- Sinestro Trade Paperback Volume 1 The Demon Within (N52)
- Superboy Trade Paperback Volume 5 Paradox (N52)
- Superman The Power Within Trade Paperback
- Swamp Thing #38
- Wolf Moon #2 (Mature Readers)
- Angry Birds #7
Edward Scissorhands #3
Writer: Kate Leth Artist: Drew Rausch Cover Artists: Declan Shalvey, Jordie Bellaire
Judge Dredd (IDW) Trade Paperback Volume 6
Writer: Duane Swierczynski Artist: Nelson Daniel, Shane Pierce Cover Artist: Shane Pierce
- Maxx Maxximized #15
- My Little Pony Friends Forever #13
- My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic Trade Paperback Volume 6
- Shadow Show #3
- Skylanders #4
- Steve Canyon Hard Cover Volume 5 1955-1956
- Sunglasses After Dark Full Blooded Collection Hardcover
- TMNT Animated Trade Paperback Volume 5 Choosing Sides
- TMNT Classics Trade Paperback Volume 9
- TMNT New Animated Adventures Trade Paperback Volume 4
- Tom Sutton Creepy Things Chilling Archives Of Horror Hardcover
- V-Wars #9
- Weird Love #5
- Autumnlands Tooth & Claw #1 2nd Printing (Mature Readers)
- Birthright #4
- Casanova Complete Ed Hard Cover Volume 2 Gula (Mature Readers)
- Deadly Class #10 (Mature Readers)
Elephantmen #61 (Mature Readers)
Writer: Richard Starkings Artist: Axel Medellin Cover Artist: Boo Cook
Fade Out #4 (Mature Readers)
Writer:Ed Brubaker Artist/Cover Artist: Sean Phillips
- God Hates Astronauts #5 (Mature Readers)
- Humans #3 (Mature Readers)
- Ixth Generation #1
- Nailbiter #9 (Mature Readers)
- Odyc #2 (Mature Readers)
- Roche Limit #4 (Mature Readers)
- Sinergy #3
- Tech Jacket #7
- Tech Jacket Trade Paperback Volume 3
Trees #8 (Mature Readers)
Writer: Warren Ellis Artist/Cover Artist: Jason Howard
- All New X-Factor #19
- Amazing Spider-Man #12 Spiderverse
- Amazing Spider-Man Trade Paperback Volume 2 Spider-Verse Prelude
- Angela Asgards Assassin #2
- Ant-Man #1
- Avengers No More Bullying #1
- Bucky Barnes Winter Soldier #3
- Death Of Wolverine Hardcover
- Death Of Wolverine Weapon X Program #5
- Hawkeye Vs Deadpool #4
- Hulk #10
- Iron Fist Living Weapon #8
- Legendary Star Lord #7
- Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars Prose Novel Hardcover
- Marvels Avengers #2
- Men Of Wrath By Aaron And Garney #4 (Mature Readers)
Miracleman #14 (Mature Readers)
Writer: The Original Writer Artist/Cover Artist: John Totleben
• Weeks old, Baby Winter decides it’s time that she and her father discuss her future.
• The Firedrake that brought Miracleman’s makers to Earth is discovered!
• With his family gone, Michael Moran faces a somber decision.
• Johnny Bates utters four short syllables that will shatter the world.
• Including material originally presented in MIRACLEMAN (1985) #14, plus bonus content.
- MMW Fantastic Four Hard Cover Volume 1 New Printing
- Operation Sin #1
- Punisher #14
- Punisher Trade Paperback Volume 2 Border Crossing
Spider-Man 2099 #7 Spiderverse
Writer: Peter David Artist Will Sliney Cover Artist: Francesco Mattina
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #1
Uncanny Avengers Premium Hardcover Volume 5 Axis Prelude
Other Publishers Comics and Graphic Novels
- A Very Zombie Christmas Regifted Trade Paperback
- Archie #663
- Archie 1000 Pg Comics Mega Digest Trade Paperback
- Archie Comics Digest #257
Armor Hunters Bloodshot Trade Paperback (Valiant)
Writers: Joe Harris, Matt Kindt Artists: Trevor Hairsine, Chris Cross Cover Artist: Philip Tan
- Armor Hunters Harbinger Trade Paperback
- Army Of Darkness Vol 4 #2
- Bleach 3in1 Trade Paperback Vol 10
- Brainstorm #5 (Mature Readers)
- Capt Victory & Galactic Rangers #4
- Chaos Smiley The Psychotic Button One Shot
- Crossed Badlands #69 (Mature Readers)
- Curse Trade Paperback
- Django Zorro #2 Rare Lee Virgin Art Ed
- Dungeon Twilight Graphic Novel Set
- EC Wally Wood Spawn Of Mars Hardcover
- Epochalypse #2
Escape From New York #2 (Boom! Studios)
Writer: Christopher Sebela Artist: Diego Barreto Cover Artist: Declan Shalvey, Riley Rossmo
Eternal Warrior Days Of Steel #3 (Valiant)
Writer: Peter Milligan Artist: Cary Nord Cover Artist: Trevor Hairsine
The Eternal Warrior’s gambit to save an oppressed people…has seemingly failed. Will he fall short of his mission on behalf of the Geomancer?
With steel sparking and axes clashing in battle, the hero of countless wars since time immemorial may yet find success…by laying down his weapons and yielding the fight. The field of battle will run red when this epic anthem of warfare and heroism by master storyteller Peter Milligan (Hellblazer) and Eisner Award winner Cary Nord (X-O Manowar) roars into its final chapter!
- Eureka Graphic Novel
- Fairy Tail Graphic Novel Vol 45
- Feathers #1
- Fiction Squad #4
- Foolbert Funnies Graphic Novel Histories & Fictions
- Fungus The Unbearable Rot Of Being Graphic Novel
- Garfield #33
- Garfield Show Graphic Novel Volume 4 Little Trouble Big China
- Grimm Fairy Tales #106
- Tales Of Terror #6
- God Is Dead #26 (Mature Readers)
- God Is Dead #26
- I Play The Bad Guy #2
- Jaco Galactic Patrolman Graphic Novel
- John Carpenters Asylum #9 (Mature Readers)
- John Carter Warlord #3
- Kiss Of The Rose Princess Graphic Novel Volume 2
- Lbx Graphic Novel Volume 3 Artemis Begins
- Legenderry A Steampunk Adv Trade Paperback
- Magnus Robot Fighter #10
- Makeshift Miracle Hard Cover Volume 2 Boy Who Stole
- Meteor Prince Graphic Novel Volume 1
- Must Read Valiant Greatest Hits #2
- My Love Story Graphic Novel Volume 3
- Naruto 3in1 Trade Paperback Vol 10
- New Vampirella #8
- Nisekoi False Love Graphic Novel Volume 7
- One Piece Graphic Novel Vol 73
- Pokemon Adventures Black & White Graphic Novel Volume 6
- Pokemon Adventures Graphic Novel Vol 26 Emerald
- Red Sonja Vultures Circle #1
- Robocop 2014 #7 (Mature Readers)
- Say I Love You Graphic Novel Volume 5
- Separators #2
- Shaft #2
- Shinobi Ninja Princess #5
- Strangers In Paradise – Kids #2
- Sixth Gun Days Of The Dead #4
- Sonic Boom #3
- Sonic Super Special Magazine #13
- Sonic The Hedgehog Select Trade Paperback Vol 10
- Steam Tales #1
- Storyville The Prostitute Murders Graphic Novel
- Strike Four Crankshaft Baseball Book Trade Paperback
Terminal Hero #5 (Mature Readers) (Dynamic Entertainment)
Writer: Peter Milligan Artist: Piotr Kowalski Cover Artist: Jae Lee
- Treasury Victorian Murder Compendium Hard Cover Volume 2
- Uncle Grandpa #4
- Ur Graphic Novel (Mature Readers)
- Valentine For Charlie Brown Hardcover
- Vampirella Feary Tales #3 Anacleto Virgin
War Stories #4 (Mature Readers)
Writer: Garth Ennis Artist/Cover Artist: Tomas Aria (Variant Covers available)
- What Did You Eat Yesterday Graphic Novel Volume 6
- Woods #9
- World Trigger Graphic Novel Volume 2
- X-O Manowar Classic Omnibus Hardcover
Doctor Who: The Official Guide How To Be Time Lord Hardcover (Penguin)
Previously available in bookshops. The definitive guide on how to be a Time Lord, written by the eleventh Doctor as a secret gift for the twelfth. This ancient Time Lord manual has been kicking around the TARDIS for over 1200 years, giving the Doctor plenty of time to “improve” it with scribbles, doodles and post-it notes as a gift for his successor, the twelfth Doctor. He’s even ripped out the middle of the book and replaced it with a scrapbook packed with everything important to our hero, and how to be just like him! So if you have ever wondered if you’d cut it in the Time Lord Academy, how to fly the TARDIS, or the correct way to dip a fish finger into custard, this is the book for you!
List compiled via Diamond Previews, publishers and with the help of First Age Comics, 3 Moor Lane, Lancaster LA1 1QD. Open: Tuesday – Friday 10.00am – 4.30pm, Saturday 10.00am – 5.30pm. Find them on Facebook
• First Age Comics also has a shop site on e-Bay: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/First-Age
• The downthetubes map of British Comic Shops
Categories: 2000AD, British Comics, British Comics - Books, British Comics - Collections, British Comics - Current British Publishers, British Comics - Graphic Novels, Doctor Who, downthetubes Comics News